1849/1851: given to Whistler's schoolmate Edward Lawrence Hyde (1835-1917), in Pomfret, CT;
1917: bequeathed to his wife Imogine Adell Hyde née Clarke (b. 1847);
By 1924: according to her niece, Mary E. Hyde, Boston, given to her sister in California;
1936: owned by her sisters Laura, Bessie and Lillian Hyde in California, and passed by family descent to Silvia Hyde Rhodes, then to Imogene Hyde Alexieff (1907-1995), Mrs Theodore Stephen Alexieff; and to her son Stephen Theodore Alexieff (b. 1932);
1994: gift of Steven P. Alexeiff in honour of Professor and Mrs Albert Simonson to Rhode Island School of Design.
Photostats of drawings owned by Edward L. Hyde were sent to Joseph Pennell (1860-1926) in 1924, but have not been located.
It was not exhibited in Whistler's lifetime.