Home > Catalogue > Browse > Copy after Ingres's 'Roger délivrant Angélique' << >>
- Young, Andrew McLaren, Margaret F. MacDonald, Robin Spencer, and Hamish Miles, The Paintings of James McNeill Whistler, New Haven and London, 1980 (cat. no. 11), plate 3, as "Copy after Ingres' 'Roger délivrant Angélique' ".
Authored by Whistler
Books on Whistler
- Anderson, Ronald, and Ann Koval, James McNeill Whistler: Beyond the Myth, London, 1994, pp. 52, 484 note 14.
- Cary, Elizabeth Luther, The Works of James McNeill Whistler: A Study, with a Tentative List of Artist’s Works, New York, 1907, p. 227 (cat. no. 480).
- Duret, Théodore, Histoire de J. McN. Whistler et de son oeuvre, Paris, 1904, p. 8.
- Eddy, Arthur Jerome, Recollections and Impressions of James A. McNeill Whistler, Philadelphia and London, 1903, pp. 79-80.
- Enaud-Lechien, Isabelle, James Whistler, le peintre et le polémiste (1834-1903), Courbevoie, 1995, p. 38, repr.
- Fleming, Gordon, The Young Whistler 1834-66, London, Boston, Sydney, 1978, pp. 133-34.
- Pennell, Elizabeth Robins, and Joseph Pennell, The Life of James McNeill Whistler, 2 vols, London and Philadelphia, 1908, vol. 1, pp. 72-73.
- Pennell, Elizabeth Robins, and Joseph Pennell, The Whistler Journal, Philadelphia, 1921, p. 171.
- Petri, Grischka, Arrangement in Business: The Art Markets and the Career of James McNeill Whistler, Hildesheim, 2011, pp. 29–30.
- Robertson, Pamela, 'Whistler's St Luc', in Hermens, Erma et al. (eds.), Connecting Whistler, Glasgow, 2010, pp. 10-15 (Online).
- Spencer, Robin (ed.), Whistler: A Retrospective, New York, 1989, pp. 23, 56, 82, repr. pl. 7.
- Sutherland, Daniel E., Whistler: A Life for Art's Sake, New Haven and London, 2014, pp. 40, 43.
- Sutton, Denys, Nocturne: The Art of James McNeill Whistler, London, 1963, p. 20.
- Lamont, L. M., (ed.), Thomas Armstrong, C. B.: A Memoir, London, 1912, pp. 178-79.
- Laver, James, Vulgar Society. The Romantic career of James Tissot 1836-1902, London, 1936, p. 7.
- Meier-Graefe, Julius, Modern Art, 2 vols., London and New York, 1908, p. 200.
- Weinberg, Helene Barbara, The Lure of Paris. Nineteenth Century American Painters and their French Teachers, New York, 1991, p. 59.
- Association of American Painters and Sculptors (ed.), Catalogue of International Exhibition of Modern Art, New York, 1913 (cat. no. 657) as 'Andromeda, (Copy of Ingres, Painted 1857)'.
Loan exhibition of works of art owned by artist members, National Arts Club, New York, 1935 as 'Andromeda after Ingres'.
1913 armory show: 50th anniversary exibition, Munson-Williams-Proctor Institute, Utica, and Henry Street Settlement, New York; Association of American Painters and Sculptors, New York, 1963 (cat. no. 657).
- Spencer, Robin, James McNeill Whistler (1834-1903), Nationalgalerie, Berlin, 1969 (cat. no. 1).
- Pickvance, Ronald, James McNeill Whistler (1834-1903): An Exhibition of Works from the University of Glasgow Collection, Nottingham University Art Gallery, Nottingham, 1970 (cat. no. 1).
- Young, A. McLaren, Glasgow University’s pictures: a selection of paintings, drawings, prints, and other works from the Hunterian Museum, University of Glasgow [exhibition catalogue, Colnaghi’s], London, 1973 (cat. no. 67).
ホイスラー展. Whistler Exhibition in Japan, Isetan Museum of Art, Tokyo; Hokkaido Museum of Modern Art, Sapporo; Shizuoka Prefectural Museum, Shizuoka, 1986 (cat. no. 1).
- Cary, Elizabeth Luther, 'French Influences on Whistler’s Art', The Script, July 1906, pp. 312-26, at pp. 313-14.
- Morris, Edward, 'Ingres et l'Angleterre', Bulletin du Musee Ingres, vols 51-54, December 1984, pp. 14-15, repr. fig. 8.
- Reff, Theodore, ‘Degas's Copies of Older Art’, The Burlington Magazine, vol. 105, June 1963, pp. 241-51.
- Reff, Theodore, ‘Copyists in the Louvre 1850-70’, Art Bulletin, vol. 46, December 1964, pp. 552-59, at pp. 557-58.
- Spencer, Robin, 'Whistler, Manet, and the Tradition of the Avant-Garde', in: Ruth Fine (ed.), James McNeill Whistler: A Reexamination, Studies in the History of Art, vol. 19, Washington, DC, 1987, pp. 47-64, at p. 50.
- The Hunterian website at http://collections.gla.ac.uk/#/details/ecatalogue/41301.
- Revillon, Joseph Whistler, Draft Catalogue Raisonné of the Paintings of J. McN. Whistler, [ca 1945-1955], Glasgow University Library (cat. nos. 467 'Andromeda', 467a 'Angelica chained to a rock').
- Getscher, Robert H., 'Whistler's Puritanical Nudes', in Zelman, Anita, and Angela De Tolla-Smyth, A Symposium Window on Whistler's World, Held in Conjunction with Drawing Near: Whistler Etchings from the Zelman Collection, 15 September 1984, Los Angeles County Museum of Art, Graphic Arts Council; Los Angeles County Museum of Art, American Art Council, Los Angeles, 1984, p. 85.
Last updated: 25th November 2020 by Margaret