Home > Catalogue > Browse > Portrait of Major G. W. Whistler (2) << >>
- Young, Andrew McLaren, Margaret F. MacDonald, Robin Spencer, and Hamish Miles, The Paintings of James McNeill Whistler, New Haven and London, 1980 (cat. no. 29), plate 11, as 'Portrait of Major G. W. Whistler (2)'.
Authored by Whistler
The Catalogue of the Ninth Annual Exhibition at the Carnegie Institute, The Carnegie Institute, Pittsburgh, 1904 (cat. no. 308) as 'Portrait of Major George W. Whistler'.
Books on Whistler
- Lane, James W., Whistler, (American Artists Series), New York, 1942, repr. p. 109.
- Pennell, Elizabeth Robins, and Joseph Pennell, The Life of James McNeill Whistler, 2 vols, London and Philadelphia, 1908, vol. 1, repr. f. p. 4 'by permission of Mrs Dr George D. Stanton & Miss Emma W. Palmer.'
- Curry, David Park, James McNeill Whistler at the Freer Gallery of Art, New York and London, 1984, pp. 101, 291, pl. 2.
- Stubbs, Burns A., Paintings, Pastels, Drawings, Prints and Copper Plates by and attributed to American and European Artists, together with a List of Original Whistleriana in the Freer Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 1948, p. 11 (05.62).
- Bloor, Alfred Janson, 'The beginnings of James McNeill Whistler', The Critic, February 1906, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 125-35, repr. p. 131.
- Freer Gallery of Art website at https://asia.si.edu.
- Google Arts and Culture website at https://artsandculture.google.com.
- MacGregor, Jeff, 'Getting to Know Whistler’s Father', Smithsonian Magazine, June 2014, online at https://www.smithsonianmag.com.
On Chester Harding:
- The Hunterian database online at http://collections.gla.ac.uk.
- Revillon, Joseph Whistler, Draft Catalogue Raisonné of the Paintings of J. McN. Whistler, [ca 1945-1955], Glasgow University Library (cat. no. 16) 'Portrait of Major Whistler'.
Last updated: 20th October 2020 by Margaret