1850s: possibly passed by family descent from the family of Whistler's aunt, Catherine Jane Palmer (1812-1877), to Mrs George D. Stanton (dates unknown) and Emma Woodbridge Palmer (1835-1912), of Stonington, Connecticut, step-niece of the artist's mother;
1905: bought from Emma W. Palmer by Charles Lang Freer (1856-1919) of Detroit for $750 in February 1905;
1919: bequeathed by C. L. Freer to the Freer Gallery of Art.
It does not seem to have been exhibited. By the terms of C. L. Freer's bequest to the Freer Gallery of Art, the painting cannot be lent.