- Young, Andrew McLaren, Margaret F. MacDonald, Robin Spencer, and Hamish Miles, The Paintings of James McNeill Whistler, New Haven and London, 1980 (cat. no. 45), plate 14, as 'Battersea Reach'.
Authored by Whistler
Books on Whistler
- Lane, James W., Whistler, (American Artists Series), New York, 1942, repr. p. 60.
- MacDonald, Margaret F., 'Joanna Hiffernan and James Whistler: an Artistic Partnership' in Margaret F. MacDonald (ed.), The Woman in White: Joanna Hiffernan and James McNeill Whistler, New Haven and Washington, 2020, pp. 15-31.
- Petri, Grischka, Arrangement in Business: The Art Markets and the Career of James McNeill Whistler, Hildesheim, 2011, pp. 59, 541-43.
- Sutherland, Daniel E., Whistler: A Life for Art's Sake, New Haven and London, 2014, pp. 81-82.
- Sutton, Denys, Nocturne: The Art of James McNeill Whistler, London, 1963, pp. 42, 63.
Handbook of the American Paintings in the Collection of the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 1947, p. 45.
Masterpieces of the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 1959, p. 53, repr.
- Williams, Herman W., Catalogue of the Collection of American Paintings in the Corcoran Gallery of Art, vol. 1, Washington, DC, 1966, p. 132.
"The Home Exhibition" - A Collection of Paintings owned in St Louis, City Art Museum, Saint Louis, 1911 (cat. no. 84) as 'Battersea Reach (repr.).
- Sweet, Frederick A., James McNeill Whistler, Art Institute of Chicago and
Munson-Williams-Proctor Institute, 1968 (cat. no. 9) as 'Battersea Reach'.
Expatriates: Whistler, Cassatt, Sargent, Munson-Williams-Proctor Arts Institute, Utica, NY, 1953 (cat. no. 9).
- Sweet, Frederick A. (ed.), James McNeill Whistler, Art Institute of Chicago, Chicago, and Munson-Williams-Proctor Institute, Utica, NY, 1968 (cat. no. 9).
London and the Thames: Paintings of Three Centuries, Department of the Environment at Somerset House, London, 1977 (cat. no. 65).
The Image of London: Views by Travellers and Emigrés, 1550-1920, Barbican Art Gallery, London, 1987 (cat. no. 159).
- Dorment, Richard, and Margaret F. MacDonald, James McNeill Whistler, Tate Gallery, London, Musée d’Orsay, Paris, and National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 1994-1995 (cat. no. 36) as 'Battersea Reach'.
James McNeill Whistler, Walter Richard Sickert, Salas de Exposiciones de la Fundacion "la Caixa", Madrid; Museo de Bellas Artes, Bilbao, 1998 (cat. no. 1).
- Lochnan, Katharine, Turner, Whistler, Monet, Art Gallery of Ontario, Toronto; Galeries nationales du Grand Palais, Paris; Tate Britain, London, 2004-2005.
Ayako Ono, ホイッスラー展. James McNeill Whistler Retrospective, National Museum of Modern Art, Kyōto, 2014, and Yokohama Museum of Art, 2014–2015 (cat. no. 53).
- MacDonald, Margaret, and Patricia de Montfort, An American in London: Whistler and the Thames, Dulwich Picture Gallery, Addison Gallery of American Art, Freer Gallery of Art, 2013-2014 (cat. no. 28) as 'Battersea Reach'.
Exhibitions with no published catalogue are listed online on the National Gallery of Art website at https://www.nga.gov.
- Anon., 'Washington: Parmelee Bequest to Corcoran', Art News, vol. 39, 18 January 1941, p. 22, repr. p. 22.
- Sieger, William B., 'Whistler and John Chandler Bancroft', Burlington Magazine, vol. 136, October 1994, pp. 675-82, Jstor Online.
- National Gallery of Art website at http://www.nga.gov.
- Parkerson, Sarah Lawrence, Variations in Gold: The Stylistic Development of the Picture Frames used by James McNeill Whistlers, PhD thesis, University of Glasgow, 2007.