Home > Catalogue > Browse > Chelsea in Ice << >>
- Young, Andrew McLaren, Margaret F. MacDonald, Robin Spencer, and Hamish Miles, The Paintings of James McNeill Whistler, New Haven and London, 1980 (cat. no. 53), plate 32, as 'Chelsea in Ice'.
Authored by Whistler
- Goupil Gallery and James McNeill Whistler, Nocturnes, Marines & Chevalet Pieces [portfolio of photographs published after the Goupil Gallery Exhibition, March-April 1892], London, 1892, repr. pl. 18.
- Whistler, James McNeill, The Gentle Art of Making Enemies, 2nd edition, London and New York, 1892, p. 299.
The Society of British Artists. Sixty-Fourth Annual Exhibition, London, 1887 (cat. no. 165) as 'Harmony in grey. Chelsea in ice'.
Nocturnes, Marines & Chevalet Pieces, Goupil Gallery, London, 1892 (cat. no. 3) as 'Chelsea in Ice'.
- Anon., [Review of SBA], Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer, Leeds, 2 April 1887, p. 6.
- Anon., 'Our London Letter', Northern Echo', Durham, 4 April 1887, p. 3 (same copy in 'Metropolitan Notes', Nottingham Evening Post, Nottingham, 4 April 1887, p. 2).
- Anon., 'Sensation in Suffolk Street', The Era, London, 9 April 1887, p. 7.
Pall Mall Gazette, 'Extra', 2 May 1887, drawing of this painting by
Théodore Roussel (1847-1926) repr. p. 84.
- Losee, William F., 'James McNeill Whistler, the Painter', Brush and Pencil, vol. 12, no. 5 (special Whistler number), August 1903, pp. 319-20, 323-31, 333, repr. p. 327.
- Anon., ‘Дж. УистлерЪ [Dzh. Uistler]’, Мир искусства [Mir Iskusstva, 'World of Art'], vol. 9, 1903, pp. 61-68, repr. p. 64 as 'Chelsea in Ice' (in Russian).
- MacDonald, Margaret F., 'James McNeill Whistler: “Chelsea in Ice”, 1864', in Art at Colby. Celebrating the Fiftieth Anniversary of the Colby College Museum of Art, Waterville, 2009, p. 110.
Books on Whistler
- Curry, David Park, James McNeill Whistler: Uneasy Pieces, New York, 2004, p. 383 note 32.
- Getscher, Robert H., and Paul G. Marks, James McNeill Whistler and John Singer Sargent. Two Annotated Bibliographies, New York and London, 1986, p. 191, J. 101.
- Robins, Anna Gruetzner, A Fragile Modernism. Whistler and his Impressionist Followers, London and New Haven, 2007, p. 136.
- Sickert, Bernhard, Whistler, London and New York, 1908 (cat. no. 96).
- Siewert, John, 'Perception and Remembrance in Whistler’s London Landscape', in: McCann, Justin (ed.), Whistler and the World: The Lunder Collection of James McNeill Whistler at the Colby College of Art, New York, 2015, pp. 46-49, repr. p. 47.
- Sutherland, Daniel E., Whistler: A Life for Art's Sake, New Haven and London, 2014, p. 85.
- Sutton, Denys, Nocturne: The Art of James McNeill Whistler, London, 1963, p. 42.
- Way, Thomas Robert, and G. R. Dennis, The Art of James McNeill Whistler: An Appreciation, 1st edition, London, 1903, p. 57.
- MacDonald, Margaret F., 'Collecting Whistler', in Paula Lunder et al., The Lunder Collection: A Gift of Art to Colby College, Colby Museum of Art, Waterville, ME, 2013, pp. 109-143, at pp. 116, 119, 140, 306.
- Pocock, Tom, Chelsea Reach: the Brutal Friendship of Whistler and Walter Greaves, London, 1970, pp. 129-30.
- Young, Andrew McLaren, James McNeill Whistler: An Exhibition of Paintings and Other Works, Organized by the Arts Council of Great Britain and the English-Speaking Union of the United States, London and New York, 1960 (cat. no. 23).
- Dorment, Richard, and Margaret F. MacDonald, James McNeill Whistler, Tate Gallery, London, Musée d’Orsay, Paris, and National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 1994-1995, pp. 51, 99, 120 (not exhibited).
- Lochnan, Katharine A. (ed.), Turner, Whistler, Monet, Art Gallery of Ontario, Toronto, 2004; Grand Palais, Paris, 2004-2005; Tate Britain, London, 2005 (cat. no. 34) repr. p. 125.
- Gurney, George, Eleanor Jones Harvey, et al., Variations on America: Masterworks from American Art Forum Collections, Smithsonian American Art Museum, Washington, DC, 2007.
- MacDonald, Margaret, and Patricia de Montfort, An American in London: Whistler and the Thames, Dulwich Picture Gallery, Addison Gallery of American Art, Freer Gallery of Art, 2013-2014 (cat. no. 35).
- Christie's, New York, 25 May 2000 (lot 10).
- Abbott, K. (ed.) and Whistler, Anna McNeill, 'The Lady of the Portrait, Letters of Whistler’s Mother', Atlantic Monthly, vol. 136, 1925, pp. 310-28, at p. 324.
- Sutton, Denys, ‘A Whistler Exhibition’, The Burlington Magazine, vol. 102, October 1960, pp. 460-61, at p. 460.
- Colby Museum of Art website at http://www.colby.edu.
- McCann, Justin, 'Spotlight on Art: Whistler’s “Chelsea in Ice” ', The Lantern, Colby College Museum of Art, 23 January 2015 (blog now deleted).
- MacDonald, Margaret F., 'Whistler in Snow', in James McNeill Whistler and his Art, 8 January 2014, Blog at https://jmcnwhistler.wordpress.com/2014/01.
American Art Collaborative, 2017, website at http://browse.americanartcollaborative.org.
Artsy website at https://www.artsy.net.
- Revillon, Joseph Whistler, Draft Catalogue Raisonné of the Paintings of J. McN. Whistler, [ca 1945-1955], Glasgow University Library (cat. no. 61) 'Chelsea in Ice / Chelsea in Ice: Harmony in grey'.
- Tilleux, Geneva Frances Morgan Tilleux, The Paintings of James McNeill Whistler, 1857-1873, vol. 2, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1962, pp. 234-36.
Last updated: 6th February 2021 by Margaret