Home > Catalogue > Browse > Sketch for 'The Balcony' << >>
- Young, Andrew McLaren, Margaret F. MacDonald, Robin Spencer, and Hamish Miles, The Paintings of James McNeill Whistler, New Haven and London, 1980 (cat. no. 57), plate 53, as 'Sketch for "The Balcony" '.
Authored by Whistler
- Bénédite, Léonce, L'Oeuvre de James MacNeill Whistler, Paris, 1905, at p. 148.
Books on Whistler
- Glazer, Lee, Emily Jacobsen, Blyth McCarthy, and Katherine Roeder, Whistler in Watercolor. Lovely Little Games, Freer Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 2019, p. 37, repr. p. 38.
- MacDonald, Margaret F., (ed.) Whistler's Mother: An American Icon, Aldershot and Burlington, 2003, p. 144.
- Spencer, Robin (ed.), Whistler: A Retrospective, New York, 1989, p. 83.
- Spencer, Robin, Whistler, New York, 1990, p. 72.
- Sutton, Denys, Nocturne: The Art of James McNeill Whistler, London, 1963, pp. 51, 58.
- Taylor, Hilary, James McNeill Whistler, London, 1978, p. 50, repr. pl. 36.
- Corbett, David Peters, and Lara Perry, English Art, 1860-1914: Modern Artists and Identity, Manchester, 2000, p. ix.
- Sato, Tomoko, and Toshio Watanabe (eds), Japan and Britain: An Aesthetic Dialogue 1850-1930, London, 1991, p. 106.
- Watanabe, Toshio, High Victorian Japonisme, Berne and New York, 1991, pp. 237, 239, 241-42.
- Hopkinson, Martin J., in Lawrence Keppie (ed.), Souvenir Guide, Hunterian Museum and Art Gallery, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, 1990, repr. fig 5.
- Hopkinson, Martin J., James McNeill Whistler at the Hunterian Art Gallery, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, 1990, pp. 18-19, repr.
- Young, A. McLaren, James McNeill Whistler, Arts Council Gallery, London, and Knoedler Galleries, New York, 1960 (cat. no. 20) as 'Sketch for "The Balcony" '.
- Spencer, Robin, James McNeill Whistler (1834-1903), Nationalgalerie, Berlin, 1969 (cat. no. 10) as 'Kompositionsentwurf für den "Balkon" '.
- Pickvance, Ronald, James McNeill Whistler (1834-1903): An Exhibition of Works from the University of Glasgow Collection, Nottingham University Art Gallery, Nottingham, 1970 (cat. no. 3).
- Young, A. McLaren, Glasgow University's Pictures, Colnaghi, London, 1973 (cat. no. 73) repr. pl. XL.
- Preston, Harley, London and the Thames. Paintings of Three Centuries, Somerset House, London, 1977 (cat. no. 66).
- Curry, David Park, James McNeill Whistler at the Freer Gallery of Art, New York and London, 1984, pp. 106, 305 (not exhibited).
- Sutton, Denys, and Martin Hopkinson, ホイスラー展. Whistler Exhibition in Japan, Tokyo, 1987 (cat. no. 6).
- Watanabe, Toshio, Japan and Britain. An Aesthetic Dialogue 1850-1930, Barbican Art Gallery, London, and Setagaya Art Museum, Tokyo, 1991, p. 66.
- Hopkinson, Martin, From Apprentice to Master: Whistler's Graphic Art, Hunterian Art Gallery, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, 1992, n.p.
- Dorment, Richard, and Margaret F. MacDonald, James McNeill Whistler, Tate Gallery, London, Musée d’Orsay, Paris, and National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 1994-1995 (cat. no. 24).
- Posnanskaya, Anna, 'Through the Prism of a Nocturne: The Vogue for Japanese Style in Russia', in Andreeva, Galina, and Margaret F. MacDonald, Whistler and Russia, State Tretyakow Gallery, Moscow, 2006, pp. 118-127, repr. p. 120.
- Andreeva, Galina, and Margaret F. MacDonald, Whistler and Russia, State Tretyakow Gallery, Moscow, 2006, p. 182 (cat. no. 6).
- Curry, David Park, 'The Red Rag Revisited: Whistler's Decorative Watercolours', in Cheney, Liana DeGirolami, and Paul G. Marks, The Whistler Papers, Whistler House Museum, Lowell, MA, 1986, p. 49.
- Gray, Basil, 'Japonisme and Whistler', The Burlington Magazine, vol. 107, June 1965, p. 324.
- Hobbs, Susan, 'Whistler at the Freer Gallery of Art', Magazines Antiques, vol. 121, November 1981, pp. 1194-202, at pp. 1195-96, fig. 4.
- Sandberg, John, ' “Japonisme” and Whistler', The Burlington Magazine, vol. 106, November 1964, pp. 500-07.
- Spencer, Robin, 'Whistler, Manet, and the Tradition of the Avant-Garde', in: Ruth Fine (ed.), James McNeill Whistler: A Reexamination, Studies in the History of Art, vol. 19, Washington, DC, 1987, pp. 47-64, at p. 54.
- Townsend, Joyce H., ‘Whistler’s Oil Painting Materials’, The Burlington Magazine, vol. 136, 1994, pp. 690-95, at p. 691, repr. fig. 37.
- Watanabe, Toshio, 'Whistler and Japan. A lecture presented to the Society on 16th October 1990', The Japan Society Proceedings, vol. 117, Spring 1991, pp. 22, 24-26.
- The Hunterian website at http://collections.gla.ac.uk.
- ArtUK website at https://artuk.org.
- MacDonald, Margaret F., 'The Chicken and the egg', in James McNeill Whistler and his Art, January 2015, Blog at https://jmcnwhistler.wordpress.com/2015/01/29/the-chicken-and-the-egg.
- Bromfield, David J., The Art of Japan in later nineteenth century Europe. Problems of Art Criticism and Theory, 2 vols, Ph.D., University of Leeds, 1977, vol. 1, p. 148, vol. 2, p. 690.
Last updated: 28th December 2020 by Margaret