Home > Catalogue > Browse > Harmony in Flesh Colour and Red << >>
- Young, Andrew McLaren, Margaret F. MacDonald, Robin Spencer, and Hamish Miles, The Paintings of James McNeill Whistler, New Haven and London, 1980 (cat. no. 91), plate 65, as 'Harmony in Flesh Colour and Red'.
- MacDonald, Margaret F., James McNeill Whistler. Drawings, Pastels and Watercolours. A Catalogue Raisonné, New Haven and London, 1995 (cat. no. 311).
Authored by Whistler
Books on Whistler
- Way, Thomas Robert, Memories of James McNeill Whistler, the Artist, London and New York, 1912, drawing repr. f.p. 24.
- Ono, Ayako, Japonisme in Britain: Whistler, Menpes, Henry, Hornel and nineteenth-century Japan, London, 2003, pp. 70-71, repr. fig. 2.22.
The Lyrical Trend in British Painting, Roland, Browse & Delbanco, London, 1946 (cat. no. 35) as 'Symphony in Red – An Interior with Three Girls'.
- Sweet, Frederick A. (ed.), Sargent, Whistler and Mary Cassatt, Art Institute of Chicago and Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1954 (cat. no. 101).
- Young, Andrew McLaren, James McNeill Whistler: An Exhibition of Paintings and Other Works, Organized by the Arts Council of Great Britain and the English-Speaking Union of the United States, London and New York, 1960 (cat. no. 19) as 'Symphony in Red'.
- Reff, Theodore, and Allen Staley (eds), From Realism to Symbolism: Whistler and His World, Columbia University, New York, 1971 (cat. no. 21).
- Taynton, Carol (intro.), Whistler in New England Collections, [checklist], Boston, 1977 (no cat. number).
- Dorment, Richard, and Margaret F. MacDonald, James McNeill Whistler, Tate Gallery, London, Musée d’Orsay, Paris, and National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 1994-1995 (cat. no. 29).
- Warner, Malcolm, Anne Helmreich, and Charles Brock, The Victorians: British painting, 1837-1901, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 1996, p. 185.
- Christie's, London, 8 April 1929 (lot 105) as 'Three Ladies in Red, on a terrace'.
- Sotheby's, London, 20 March 1946 (lot 241) as 'Symphony in Red'.
- Anon., 'Shorter Notices: The Lyrical Trend in English Painting', The Burlington Magazine, vol. 88, May 1947, pp. 126, 128, repr. p. 126.
- Boston Museum of Fine Arts website at http://www.mfa.org.
- Revillon, Joseph Whistler, Draft Catalogue Raisonné of the Paintings of J. McN. Whistler, [ca 1945-1955], Glasgow University Library (cat. no. 261).
Last updated: 4th June 2021 by Margaret