The early provenance is unknown, and the later history is based mostly on Museum records and those of the Macbeth Galleries, New York, but is sadly lacking in secure dates. According to Museum records, it was owned at one time by the diplomat, Robert Woods Bliss. It was acquired in trade from a client by the E. & A. Silberman Galleries, who sold it to R. G. McIntyre of the Macbeth Galleries, New York. It was bought in 1953 by the Randolph-Macon Woman's College, which later became the Maier Museum of Art at Randolph College. 1
It was not, as far as is known, exhibited in Whistler's lifetime.
1: R. G. McIntyre to A. McLaren Young, 25 March 1960, GUL WPP files.
Last updated: 15th December 2020 by Margaret