Home > Catalogue > Browse > Symphony in Grey: Early Morning, Thames << >>
- Young, Andrew McLaren, Margaret F. MacDonald, Robin Spencer, and Hamish Miles, The Paintings of James McNeill Whistler, New Haven and London, 1980 (cat. no. 98), plate 45, as 'Symphony in Grey: Early Morning, Thames'.
Authored by Whistler
- Probably Fifth Exhibition of the Society of French Artists [Winter Exhibition], Deschamps Gallery, London, 1872 (cat. no. 122) as 'Harmony in Grey'.
Fourth Exhibition, International Society of Sculptors, Painters and Gravers, Regent Street, London, 1904 (cat. no. 152a) as 'Symphony in Grey' (listed only in 4th edition of cat.).
Comparative exhibition of native and foreign art, Society of Art Collectors, New York, 1904 (cat. no. 179) as 'Symphony in Grey – Early Morning – Thames'.
The Inaugural Loan Collection of Paintings, Buffalo Fine Arts Academy, Buffalo, 1905 (cat. no. 166) as 'Symphony in Grey – Early Morning, Thames' (repr.).
- Anon., 'Winter Exhibition of the Society of French Artists, 168, New Bond Street', Morning Advertiser, London, 5 November 1872, p. 6.
- Anon., 'Winter Exhibition of the Society of French Artists', The Athenaeum, 16 November 1872, pp. 639-40.
- Anon., 'Fine Arts. The Society of French Artists', Illustrated London News, London, 23 November 1872, pp. 20-21, at p. 21.
- Matsuki, Bunkio (ed.), 'The Influences that Shaped Whistler's Art', Lotus, vol. 1, no. 1, (Special Holiday Number in Memoriam: James A. McNeill Whistler), December 1903, pp. 38-40.
Books on Whistler
- Cary, Elizabeth Luther, The Works of James McNeill Whistler: A Study, with a Tentative List of Artist’s Works, New York, 1907 (cat. no. 504).
- Curry, David Park, James McNeill Whistler: Uneasy Pieces, New York, 2004, pp. 212, 214, 305, 308, repr. p. 214.
- Merrill, Linda, A Pot of Paint: Aesthetics on Trial in 'Whistler v. Ruskin', Washington and London, 1992, pp. 50-51.
- Pennell, Elizabeth Robins, and Joseph Pennell, The Life of James McNeill Whistler, 2 vols, London and Philadelphia, 1908, vol. 2, p. 226.
- Petri, Grischka, Arrangement in Business: The Art Markets and the Career of James McNeill Whistler, Hildesheim, 2011, pp. 297-99.
- Singletary, Suzanne M., James McNeill Whistler and France: A Dialogue in Paint, Poetry, and Music, London and New York, 2017, p. 141.
- Sutherland, Daniel E., Whistler: A Life for Art's Sake, New Haven and London, 2014, p. 126.
- Lago, Mary, Lady Christiana Jane Powell, Christiana Herringham and the Edwardian Art Scene, London, 1996, p. 127.
- Curry, David Park, James McNeill Whistler at the Freer Gallery of Art, New York and London, 1984, pp. 120, 292-93, pl. 23.
- Stubbs, Burns A., Paintings, Pastels, Drawings, Prints and Copper Plates by and attributed to American and European Artists, together with a List of Original Whistleriana in the Freer Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 1948, p. 15 (04.50).
- MacDonald, Margaret, and Patricia de Montfort, An American in London: Whistler and the Thames, Dulwich Picture Gallery, Addison Gallery of American Art, Freer Gallery of Art, 2013-2014 (cat. no. 63).
- Abbott, K. (ed.) and Whistler, Anna McNeill, 'The Lady of the Portrait, Letters of Whistler’s Mother', Atlantic Monthly, vol. 136, 1925, pp. 310-28, p. 325.
- Freer Gallery of Art website at https://www.si.edu/object/fsg_F1904.50a-b.
- Revillon, Joseph Whistler, Draft Catalogue Raisonné of the Paintings of J. McN. Whistler, [ca 1945-1955], Glasgow University Library (cat. no. 60) 'Symphony in grey: Early Morning, Thames'.
Last updated: 31st December 2020 by Margaret