Home > Catalogue > Browse > The Pier: A Grey Note << >>
- Young, Andrew McLaren, Margaret F. MacDonald, Robin Spencer, and Hamish Miles, The Paintings of James McNeill Whistler, New Haven and London, 1980 (cat. no. 286), plate 163, as 'The Pier: A Grey Note'.
Authored by Whistler
'Notes' - 'Harmonies' - 'Nocturnes', Messrs Dowdeswell, London, 1884 (cat. no. 1) as 'The Pier; a grey note'.
Winter Exhibition, Society of British Artists, London, 1886 (cat. no. 235) as 'A Grey Note'.
- Anon., 'Messrs Dowdeswell's Gallery', Morning Post, London, 24 May 1884, p. 5.
- Anon., 'THE WHISTLER'S ARRANGEMENT IN FLESH COLOUR AND GREY', Glasgow Herald, Glasgow, 10 June 1884, p. 3.
Globe, London, 29 November 1887.
Books on Whistler
- Robins, Anna Gruetzner, A Fragile Modernism. Whistler and his Impressionist Followers, London and New Haven, 2007, pp. 13-14.
- Gilbert, Henry, Roy Ray, and Colin Orchard, All About St. Ives: A Guide to the Town, its Galleries and Art History, [St Ives], 2006.
Oils, Water-colors, Drawings and Prints by James McNeill Whistler, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 1934 (cat. no. 14) as 'Pier at Margate'.
Symphonies in Stone: Lithographs by James McNeill Whistler, de Young, San Francisco, 1992.
- Myers, Kenneth John, Mr. Whistler’s Gallery: Pictures at an 1884 Exhibition, Freer Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 2003, pp. 14, 85, repr. p. 33.
- Robert C. Eldred Co. Inc., East Dennis, MA, 2 August 1979 (lot 318).
- Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco blog at https://www.famsf.org/blog/love-and-maiden-harmony-hues.
- Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco website at https://art.famsf.org.
- Revillon, Joseph Whistler, Draft Catalogue Raisonné of the Paintings of J. McN. Whistler, [ca 1945-1955], Glasgow University Library (cat. no. 438a).
Last updated: 11th November 2020 by Margaret