Home > Catalogue > Browse > Dark Blue and Silver << >>
- Young, Andrew McLaren, Margaret F. MacDonald, Robin Spencer, and Hamish Miles, The Paintings of James McNeill Whistler, New Haven and London, 1980 (cat. no. 412), plate 254, as 'Dark Blue and Silver'.
Authored by Whistler
Fair Women, Grafton Galleries, London, 1894 (cat. no. 49) as 'Dark Blue and Silver'.
Exposition Nationale des Beaux-Arts, Société Nationale des Beaux-Arts, Champ de Mars, Paris, 1894 (cat. no. 1182) as 'le Danger. – Bleu fonce et argent'.
Second Annual Exhibition, Carnegie Institute, Pittsburgh, 1897 (cat. no. 234) as 'Symphony in Violet and Blue'.
Sixty-Seventh Annual Exhibition, Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Philadelphia, 1898 (cat. no. 461).
Twentieth Annual Exhibition of the Society of American Artists at the Galleries of the American Fine Arts Society, New York, 1898? (cat. no. 321).
Oil Paintings, Water Colors, Pastels and Drawings: Memorial Exhibition of the Works of Mr. J. McNeill Whistler, Copley Society, Boston, 1904 (cat. no. 30) as 'Symphony in Violet and Blue'.
- Anon., 'The Grafton Gallery', Globe, London, 22 January 1894, p. 3.
- Anon., 'The Grafton Gallery', Pall Mall Gazette, London, 23 January 1894, p. 3.
- Anon., 'Art Notes', The Sketch, London, 7 February 1894, pp. 24-25.
- Anon., The Scotsman, Edinburgh, 24 April 1894, p. 5.
The Athenaeum, London, 27 January 1894, p. 119.
- 'The Grafton Gallery Collection', The Art Journal, March 1894, pp. 88-89, at p. 89.
- Phillips, Claude, ‘The Salons: Salon of the Champ de Mars’, Magazine of Art, vol. 17, 1894, pp. 379-84, at p. 381.
- Geffroy, Gustave, 'Salon de 1894', Vie Artistique, vol. 4, 1895, pp. 140-44, at pp. 140-41.
Books on Whistler
- Eddy, Arthur Jerome, Recollections and Impressions of James A. McNeill Whistler, Philadelphia and London, 1903, pp. 274-75.
- Sutherland, Daniel E., Whistler: A Life for Art's Sake, New Haven and London, 2014, p. 274.
- La Farge, John & August F. Jaccaci, (eds.), Noteworthy Paintings in American Private Collections, New York, 1907, pp. 30-32.
Paintings in oil and pastel by James NcNeill Whistler, Metropolitan Museum of Art, New
York, 1910 (cat. no. 31).
- Merrill, Linda, et al., After Whistler: The Artist and His Influence on American Painting, High Museum of Art, Atlanta, 2003, p. 93 (not exhibited).
- MacDonald, Margaret F., 'A Rediscovered Whistler: “Violet and Blue: Among the Rollers” ’, The Burlington Magazine, vol. 149, 2007, pp. 261-62.
- Hill-Stead website at http://www.hillstead.org.
- Revillon, Joseph Whistler, Draft Catalogue Raisonné of the Paintings of J. McN. Whistler, [ca 1945-1955], Glasgow University Library (cat. no. 383).
Last updated: 21st November 2020 by Margaret