Home > Catalogue > Browse > Violet and Blue: Among the Rollers << >>
- Young, Andrew McLaren, Margaret F. MacDonald, Robin Spencer, and Hamish Miles, The Paintings of James McNeill Whistler, New Haven and London, 1980 (cat. no. 413) as 'Violet and Blue: Among the Rollers', and (cat. no. 517) as 'Study of the Sea from a Boat'.
Authored by Whistler
- [Exhibition], Boussod, Valadon & Cie., of the Goupil Gallery, London, at Wellington Studios, Glasgow, 1893 (catalogue untraced).
Fair Women, Grafton Galleries, London, 1894 (cat. no. 70) as 'Violet and Blue – Among the Rollers'.
Exposition Nationale des Beaux-Arts, Société Nationale des Beaux-Arts, Champ de Mars, Paris, 1894 (cat. no. 1183).
Oil Paintings, Water Colors, Pastels and Drawings: Memorial Exhibition of the Works of Mr. J. McNeill Whistler, Copley Society, Boston, 1904 (cat. no. 13) as 'Study of the Sea from a boat'.
- Anon., Glasgow Herald, Glasgow, 9 November 1893.
- Anon., St James's Gazette, London, 6 December 1893, p. 12.
- Anon., St James's Gazette, London, 12 December 1893, p. 4.
- 'Our London Correspondent', Glasgow Herald, 18 December 1893, p. 7.
- Anon., Daily Telegraph & Courier (London), 20 January 1894, p. 6
- Anon., 'The Grafton Gallery', Pall Mall Gazette, London, 23 January 1894, p. 3.
- 'The Grafton Gallery Collection', The Art Journal, March 1894, pp. 88-89, at p. 89.
- Geffroy, Gustave, 'Salon de 1894', Vie Artistique, vol. 4, 1895, pp. 140-44, at pp. 140-41.
Books on Whistler
- Eddy, Arthur Jerome, Recollections and Impressions of James A. McNeill Whistler, Philadelphia and London, 1903, pp. 274-75.
- Gallatin, Albert Eugene, Whistler's Art Dicta and Other Essays, Boston, 1904, f.p. 1.
- Cottone Auctions, Mount Morris, 7 July 2006 (lot 127).
- 'Detroit Institute of Arts Buys $1M Whistler Painting', Art News, 6 February 2007.
- MacDonald, Margaret F., 'A Rediscovered Whistler: “Violet and Blue: Among the Rollers” ’, The Burlington Magazine, vol. 149, 2007, pp. 261-62.
- Myers, Kenneth John, 'Whistler the "Quintessencier: Violet and Blue: Among the Rollers" and the Importance of the Late Small Oils', Bulletin of the Detroit Institute of Arts, vol. 85, no. 1-4, 2011, pp. 28-41, online.
Art News, 6 February 2007, website at http://www.artnews.com (acc. 2007).
- Cottone Auctions website at https://www.cottoneauctions.com.
- Detroit Institute of Art website at http://www.dia.org.
Last updated: 12th November 2020 by Margaret