Home > Catalogue > Browse > Portrait of Whistler with Hat << >>
- Young, Andrew McLaren, Margaret F. MacDonald, Robin Spencer, and Hamish Miles, The Paintings of James McNeill Whistler, New Haven and London, 1980 (cat. no. 23), plate 8, as 'Portrait of Whistler with Hat'.
Authored by Whistler
Catalogue of the Loan Collection of Paintings and Sculpture in the West Galleries and the Grand Hall, Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1873 (cat. no. 27) as 'Head of a young man'.
S. P. Avery's Catalogue of Oil Paintings, on exhibition, No. 625 Broadway, New York, 1873 (cat. no. 29) as 'Head of a young man'.
Catalogue of the Loan Exhibition of Paintings, at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1874 (cat. no. 36) as 'Head of a young man'.
Charity Art Exhibition, 1876: Catalogue of Paintings, Baltimore, 1876 (cat. no. 46) as 'Portrait of the Artist'.
- [Exhibition of paintings], Lotos Club, New York, April 1878.
Loan Collection of Paintings and Sculpture, Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1881 (cat. no. 55) as 'Portrait of Himself'.
- Exhibition of Pictures, Union League Club, New York, 1881 (cat. no. unknown).
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art (ed.), Hand-book N° 6: Loan Collection of Paintings and Sculpture, New York, 1885 (cat. no. 99) as 'Portrait of Whistler'.
- National Academy of Design (ed.), Loan Exhibition of Portraits for the Benefit of the Orthopædic Hospital, New York, 1898 (cat. no. 253) as 'The Artist'.
- Copley Society (ed.), Oil Paintings, Water Colors, Pastels & Drawings: Memorial Exhibition of the Works of Mr. J. McNeill Whistler, Boston, 1904 (cat. no. 55) as 'Portrait of Whistler with Hat'.
Exposition des œuvres de James McNeill Whistler, Palais de l’École des Beaux-Arts, Paris, 1905 (cat. no. 1) as 'Portrait de Whistler au chapeau (Portrait of Whistler with Hat)'.
- Anon., 'The Union League', unidentified newspaper, New York, [10 April 1881] (press cutting, GUL Whistler PC 4, p. 61).
- Brownell, William C., 'Whistler in Painting and Etching', Scribner's Monthly, vol. 18, no. 4, August 1879, pp. 481-95, wood engraving by F. Juengling repr. p. 481.
- Boughton, George Henry, 'A Few of the Various Whistlers I have known', The Studio, vol. 30, no. 129, December 1903, pp. 208-18; reprinted in The International Studio, vol. 21, January 1904, pp. 208-18, repr. p. 216 as 'Portrait of Himself in his Student Days'.
Books on Whistler
- Cary, Elizabeth Luther, The Works of James McNeill Whistler: A Study, with a Tentative List of Artist’s Works, New York, 1907 (cat. no. 55).
- Curry, David Park, James McNeill Whistler: Uneasy Pieces, New York, 2004, repr. p. 29.
- Duret, Théodore, Histoire de J. McN. Whistler et de son oeuvre, Paris, 1904, p. 15.
- Duret, Théodore, Histoire de J. McN. Whistler et de son oeuvre, 2nd edition, Paris, 1914, p. 10.
- Gallatin, Albert Eugene, The Portraits and Caricatures of James McNeill Whistler: An Iconography, London, New York and Toronto, 1913, p. 12 (cat. no. 1), repr. f.p. 24.
- Gallatin, Albert Eugene, Portraits of Whistler: A Critical Study and an Iconography, New York and London, 1918, pp. 6, 25, repr. pl. 1.
- Glazer, Lee, Emily Jacobsen, Blyth McCarthy, and Katherine Roeder, Whistler in Watercolor. Lovely Little Games, Freer Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 2019, repr. fig. 18.
- Lane, James W., Whistler, (American Artists Series), New York, 1942, repr. p. 33.
- Pennell, Elizabeth Robins, and Joseph Pennell, The Life of James McNeill Whistler, 2 vols, London and Philadelphia, 1908, vol. 1, p. 73.
- Pennell, Elizabeth Robins, and Joseph Pennell, The Whistler Journal, Philadelphia, 1921, repr. f.p. 29.
- Pennell, Elizabeth Robins, with Joseph Pennell, The Art of Whistler, New York, 1928, p. 5.
- Petri, Grischka, Arrangement in Business: The Art Markets and the Career of James McNeill Whistler, Hildesheim, 2011, pp. 151, 183-84, 506, 604, 635, 690.
- Spencer, Robin, Whistler, New York, 1990, pp. 44-45.
- Sickert, Bernhard, Whistler, London and New York, 1908 (cat. no. 1).
- Sutherland, Daniel E., Whistler: A Life for Art's Sake, New Haven and London, 2014, p. 52.
- Sutton, Denys, Nocturne: The Art of James McNeill Whistler, London, 1963, repr. p. 20.
- Sutton, Denys, James McNeill Whistler: Paintings, Etchings, Pastels and Watercolours, London, 1966, repr. pl. 1.
- Beaufort, M. F., H. L. Kleinfield, and J. K. Welcher, (eds) The Diaries 1871-1882 of Samuel P. Avery, Art Dealer,, New York, 1979, vol. 1, p. 113.
- Randall, Lillian (ed.), George A. Lucas: An American Art Agent in Paris, 1857-1909, Princeton, 1979, vol. 2, pp. 77, 365, 369, 372-76.
- Stubbs, Burns A., Paintings, Pastels, Drawings, Prints and Copper Plates by and attributed to American and European Artists, together with a List of Original Whistleriana in the Freer Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 1948, p. 12 (06.57) as 'Portrait of Himself'.
- Curry, David Park, James McNeill Whistler at the Freer Gallery of Art, New York and London, 1984, pp. 100-01, 291, repr. plate 1 as 'Portrait of Whistler with a Hat'.
Portraits of Whistler and other Whistleriana. Loan Collection, Arden Gallery, New York, 1918.
- Merrill, Linda, et al., After Whistler: The Artist and His Influence on American Painting, High Museum of Art, Atlanta, 2003, pp. 12, 29, repr. fig. 3 (not exhibited).
- Ono, Ayako (ed.), ホイッスラー展. James McNeill Whistler Retrospective, Tokyo, 2014, p. 211, repr. fig. 59 (not exhibited)
- Gallatin, Albert Eugene, 'Whistler - the Self Portraits in Oil', Art in America, vol. 1, July 1913, pp. 151-58, repr. p. 153.
- Hobbs, Susan, 'Whistler at the Freer Gallery of Art', Magazines Antiques, vol. 121, November 1981, pp. 1194-202, p. 1195, pl. 2.
- Pennell, Joseph, 'The Reader: The Triumph of Whistler', The Bookman, London, vol. 43, no. 253, October 1912, pp. 19-30, repr. p. 25.
- MacDonald, Margaret F., 'James McNeill Whistler: An Artist on Artists', in: Visual Culture in Britain, vol. 16, Issue 2, 2015, pp. 200-22, Taylor and Francis Online, DOI: 10.1080/14714787.2015.1038437.
- Whistler Painting, Freer Gallery of Art website at https://asia.si.edu/object/F1906.57a-b.
- Guérard Etching, Freer Gallery of Art website at https://asia.si.edu/object/F1908.248.
- Revillon, Joseph Whistler, Draft Catalogue Raisonné of the Paintings of J. McN. Whistler, [ca 1945-1955], Glasgow University Library (cat. no. 1) 'Portrait of himself / Portrait of Whistler with hat'.
Last updated: 4th December 2020 by Margaret