Home > Catalogue > Browse > The Morning after the Revolution, Valparaiso << >>
- Young, Andrew McLaren, Margaret F. MacDonald, Robin Spencer, and Hamish Miles, The Paintings of James McNeill Whistler, New Haven and London, 1980 (cat. no. 75), plate 58, as 'The Morning after the Revolution, Valparaiso'.
Authored by Whistler
- Possibly Christie's, London, 24 July 1878 (lot 78) as 'Valparaiso'.
- Possibly Christie's, London, 30 June 1883 (lot 252) as 'Valparaiso'.
Books on Whistler
- Anderson, Ronald, and Ann Koval, James McNeill Whistler: Beyond the Myth, London, 1994, pp. 159-60.
- Spencer, Robin, Whistler, New York, 1990, p. 35.
- Sutherland, Daniel E., Whistler: A Life for Art's Sake, New Haven and London, 2014, pp. 95-98.
- Fattal, Laura Rachel Felleman and Carol Salus (eds), Out of Context: American Artists Abroad, in series Contributions to the study of art and architecture, Westport, CT, 2004, p. 14-15.
- Jacobs, Michael, The Painted Voyage: Art,Travel and Exploration 1564-1875, London, 1995, pp. 145, 147 repr.
- Kloss, William, Treasures of NMAA, Smithsonian, Washington DC, 1986, p. 68.
- Manthorne, Katherine E., Tropical Renaissance: North American Artists Exploring Latin America, 1839-1879, Smithsonian Institution Press, Washington, DC, 1989, pp. 159, 165-67, 169, 171, repr. fig. 93.
- Sutherland, Daniel E., Whistler: A Life for Art's Sake, New Haven and London, 2014, p. 97.
- Hopkinson, Martin J., James McNeill Whistler at the Hunterian Art Gallery, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, 1990, pp. 16-17, repr.
- Hopkinson, Martin J., in Lawrence Keppie (ed.), Souvenir Guide, Hunterian Museum and Art Gallery, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, 1990, repr. fig 6.
James McNeill Whistler, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, 1936 (cat. no. 29).
- Kloss, William, Treasures from the National Museum of American Art, Washington and London, 1985 (ref. cat. no. 27) (not exhibited).
- Lochnan, Katharine A., Whistler and his Circle: Etchings and Lithographs from the collection of the Art Gallery of Ontario, Kitchener/Waterloo Art Gallery, Kitchener, Ontario, 1987, p. 41 (not exhibited).
- Sutton, Denys, 'Whistler: The Artist as Dandy', in: ホイスラー展. Whistler Exhibition in Japan, Isetan Museum of Art, Tokyo; Hokkaido Museum of Modern Art, Sapporo; Shizuoka Prefectural Museum, Shizuoka, 1986, pp. 22-30, at p. 23 (not exhibited).
- Dorment, Richard, and Margaret F. MacDonald, James McNeill Whistler, Tate Gallery, London, Musée d’Orsay, Paris, and National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 1994-1995, pp. 110, 119, 175, 312 (not exhibited).
- Getscher, Robert, 'Whistler's ways with water', in Cheney, Liana DeGirolami, and Paul G. Marks, The Whistler Papers, Whistler House Museum, Lowell, MA, 1986, p. 23.
- Johnson, Ron, 'Whistler's Musical Modes: Numinous Nocturnes', Arts, vol. 55, no. 8, April 1981, pp. 169-76, at p. 170.
- Newton, Joy, La Chauve-Souris et le Papillon. Correspondance Montesquiou-Whistler, Glasgow, 1990, pp. 128-29, note 2.
- Sutherland, Daniel E., 'James McNeill Whistler in Chile: Portrait of the Artist as Arms Dealer', American Nineteenth Century History, vol. 9, 2008, pp. 61-73.
- Hunterian website at http://collections.gla.ac.uk/#/details/ecatalogue/41079.
- ArtUK website at https://artuk.org.
- Revillon, Joseph Whistler, Draft Catalogue Raisonné of the Paintings of J. McN. Whistler, [ca 1945-1955], Glasgow University Library (cat. no. 45) 'The morning after the revolution, Valparaiso'.
Last updated: 20th October 2020 by Margaret