Home > Catalogue > Browse > Tanagra << >>
- Young, Andrew McLaren, Margaret F. MacDonald, Robin Spencer, and Hamish Miles, The Paintings of James McNeill Whistler, New Haven and London, 1980 (cat. no. 92), plates 70, 387, as 'Tanagra'.
- MacDonald, Margaret F., James McNeill Whistler. Drawings, Pastels and Watercolours. A Catalogue Raisonné, New Haven and London, 1995 (cat. nos. 356-58, 1419).
Authored by Whistler
Books on Whistler
- Merrill, Linda, The Peacock Room. A Cultural Biography, New Haven and London, 1998, p. 101.
- Pyne, Kathleen, Art and the Higher Life: Painting and Evolutionary Thought in Late Nineteenth-Century America , Austin, TX, 2010, pp. 105-10.
- Spencer, Robin, The Aesthetic Movement, London and New York, 1972, p. 42, painting by Moore repr. p. 38, cartoon repr. p. 39.
- Williams, Mary Frances, Catalogue of the collection of American painting at Randolph-Macon Woman's College, Lynchburg, 1965, pp. 98-99 (xiii), repr. p. 98, drawings repr. p. 96.
- Williams, Mary Frances, Catalogue of the Collection of American Art at Randolph-Macon Woman's College: A Selection of Paintings, Drawings, and Prints, Charlottesville, 1977, pp. 168-69.
- Young, A. McLaren, James McNeill Whistler, Arts Council Gallery, London, and Knoedler Galleries, New York, 1960 (cat. no. 22) as 'Tanagra'.
Randolph-Macon Woman's College Collection, Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, Richmond,
Selections from the Randolph-Macon Woman's College Collection, Roanoke Fine Arts
Two Centuries of American Painting from the Collection of Randolph-Macon Woman's
College, organized by the Tampa chapter of the R-MWC Alumnae Association and circulated to
Tampa, Orlando, Gainesville, and Jacksonville, 1965.
Paintings from the Collection of Randolph-Macon Woman's College, The Wilmington Society
of the Fine Arts (Delaware Art Center); Lincoln University, Oxford, PA; Montclair Art Museum;
Weatherspoon Gallery, University of North Carolina, Greensboro; J. B. Speed Art Museum, Louisville;
Tennessee Fine Arts Center, Cheekwood, Nashville, 1966-1967.
- Sweet, Frederick A. (ed.), James McNeill Whistler, Art Institute of Chicago, Chicago, and Munson-Williams-Proctor Institute, Utica, NY, 1968 (cat. no. 16).
- [Exhibition], Randolph-Macon at Reynolda House, Winston-Salem, 1972.
The Classical Spirit in American Portraiture, Providence, RI, Bell Gallery, Brown University, 1976, p. 102.
The Quest for Unity: American Art Between World's Fairs, 1876-1893, The Detroit
Institute of Arts, 1983.
- MacDonald, Margaret F., Notes, Harmonies, and Nocturnes: Small Works by James McNeill Whistler, M. Knoedler and Co., Inc., New York, 1984.
An American Perspective: Paintings from the Maier Museum of Art, Randolph-Macon Woman's
College. Raleigh and North Carolina Museum of Art, 1985 (cat. no. 9).
- Schall, Ellen M., John Wilmerding and David M. Sokol, American Art: American Vision, Paintings from a Century of Collecting, Maier Museum of Art, Lynchburg, VA, 1990, pp. 158-59.
American Art: American Vision, Paintings from a Century of Collecting, Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, Richmond, VA; Terra Museum of American Art, Chicago; Tampa Museum of Art; High Museum of Art, Atlanta; Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 1990-1993.
James McNeill Whistler, Reynolda House Museum of American Art, Winston-Salem, 1995.
- Lanigan, David T., A Dream of the Past: Pre-Raphaelite and Aesthetic Movement Paintings, Watercolours, and Drawings from the Lanigan Collection, University of Toronto Art Center, 2000, p. 241 ref.
Defining Influences, Japonisme and the Western Artists of the 19th & 20th
Centuries, Sweet Briar College Art Gallery, Sweet Briar, VA, 2002.
East Meets West: Japanese Woodblock Prints from the Margaret H. Wright Collection, Maier Museum of Art, Lynchburg, VA, 2004.
The 100th Annual Exhibition: The Vision Endures, Randolph College, Maier Museum of Art, Lynchburg, VA, 2011, p. 7.
The Orient Expressed: Japan’s Influence on Western Art, 1854-1918, Mississippi Museum of Art, Jackson, and McNay Art Museum, San Antonio, 2011-2012.
Ayako Ono, ホイッスラー展. James McNeill Whistler Retrospective, National Museum of Modern Art, Kyōto, 2014, and Yokohama Museum of Art, 2014–2015 (cat. no. 100).
- Sokol, David M., 'American Art in the Maier Museum of Art, Randolph-Macon Woman's College, Lynchburg, Virginia', Antiques, vol. 136, no. 5, 1989, p. 1142.
- Maier newsletter, Fall 2011.
- Maier Museum website at http://collections.maiermuseum.org.
- Collections Search Centre website at http://collections.si.edu.
- Fitzgerald, Mary, 'Recent Research on Whistler's Tanagra in the Permanent Collection, Maier Museum of Art,' Maier Museum files, October 2000, p. 5.
Last updated: 15th December 2020 by Margaret