Home > Catalogue > Browse > Nocturne: Blue and Silver – Bognor << >>
- Young, Andrew McLaren, Margaret F. MacDonald, Robin Spencer, and Hamish Miles, The Paintings of James McNeill Whistler, New Haven and London, 1980 (cat. no. 100), plate 56, as 'Nocturne: Blue and Silver – Bognor'.
Authored by Whistler
- Possibly [Whistler, James McNeill], Mr. Whistler’s Exhibition. 48 Pall Mall, London, 1874 (cat. no. 9) as 'Blue Waves'.
12th Exhibition, Society of French Artists, Deschamps Gallery, London, 1876 (cat. no. 149) as 'Nocturne in Blue and Gold'.
- Blackburn, Henry, Grosvenor Notes, London, 1883, p. 28.
VII Summer Exhibition, Grosvenor Gallery, London, 1883 (cat. no. 111) as 'Nocturne in Blue and Silver'.
Exposition: Brown, Boudin, Caillebotte, Lépine, Morisot, Pissarro, Renoir, Sisley, Whistler, Galerie Durand-Ruel, Paris, 1888 (cat. no. 39 or 42) as 'Nocturne en bleu et argent' (see Nocturne en bleu et argent [YMSM 149]).
- [Whistler, James McNeill, and Goupil Gallery (eds)], Nocturnes, Marines & Chevalet Pieces: Small Collection Kindly Lent by Their Owners, London, 1892 (cat. no. 24) ) as 'Nocturne, Blue and Silver – Bognor'.
Exposition nationale des Beaux-Arts: Catalogue Illustré des ouvrages de peinture, sculpture et gravure exposés au Champ-de-Mars, Paris, 1892 (cat. no. 1067) as 'Nocturne bleu et argent; – Bognor'.
- Possibly Illustrierter Katalog der VI. Internationalen Kunst-Ausstellung 1892 im Kgl. Glaspalaste, Munich, 1892 (cat. no. 1950b) as 'Symphonie in Silber'.
- Coffin, William A., and Chalres C. Curran (eds.), Catalogue of the Exhibition of Fine Arts. Pan-American Exposition, Buffalo, 1901 (cat. no. 96) as 'Bognor – Nocturne'.
- [Exhibition], Montross Gallery, New York, 1901 (catalogue untraced).
Comparative Exhibition of Native and Foreign Art, under the auspices of the Society of Art Collectors, New York, 1904 (cat. no. 176) as 'Nocturne – Blue and Silver – Bognor'.
- Copley Society (ed.), Oil Paintings, Water Colors, Pastels & Drawings: Memorial Exhibition of the Works of Mr. J. McNeill Whistler, Boston, 1904 (cat. no. 65) as ' "Nocturne – Blue and Silver – Bognor" '.
Exposition des œuvres de James McNeill Whistler, Palais de l’École des Beaux-Arts, Paris, 1905 (cat. no. 68).
- Anon., 'The Brighton Exhibition of Paintings', London Evening Standard, London, 11 September 1875, p. 3.
- Anon., 'The Society of French Artists', Pall Mall Gazette, 25 April 1876, p. 10.
- Anon., 'Our London Correspondent', The Ipswich Journal, Ipswich, 1 May 1883, p .2.
- Anon., 'The Grosvenor Gallery', Pall Mall Gazette, 2 May 1883, p. 4.
- Anon., 'The Grosvenor Gallery', Sheffield Daily Telegraph, Sheffield, 10 May 1883, p. 4.
- Anon., 'The Grosvenor Gallery', Dundee Advertiser, Dundee, 25 May 1883, p. 9.
- Anon., ['By a Lady'], 'Mr. Whistler's Revenge', Northampton Mercury, Northampton, 1 April 1892, p. 2 (syndicated).
- Anon., 'The April Reviews and Magazines, York Herald, York, 6 April 1892, p. 6.
- Anon., 'Whistler and Wilde', Toronto Daily Mail, Toronto, 7 May 1892, p. 6.
- [Rossetti, William Michael], 'Notes and News', The Academy, 19 February 1876, pp. 180-82, at p. 180.
- [Rossetti, William Michael], 'Forthcoming English Pictures', The Art Monthly Review and Photographic Portfolio, 29 February 1876, no. 2, p. 15.
- Anon., 'The Society of French Artists', The Builder, 6 May 1876, p. 429.
- Anon., ‘The Grosvenor Gallery Exhibition (Second and Concluding Notice)’, The Athenaeum, 12 May 1883, pp. 608-10, at p. 610.
- Duret, Théodore, 'Les Expositions de Londres: Dante Gabriel Rossetti', Gazette des beaux-arts, vol. 28, July 1883, pp. 49-58.
- Sickert, Walter Richard, 'Whistler To-day', The Fortnightly Review, vol. 57, new series, vol. 51, April 1892, pp. 543-47, at p. 547.
- Fenellosa, Ernest F., 'The Place in History of Mr Whistler's Art', Lotus, vol. 1, no. 1, Special Holiday Number in Memoriam: James A. McNeill Whistler, December 1903, pp. 14-17, at p. 14, repr.
- Matsuki, Bunkio (ed.), 'Whistler Memorial Exhibition', Lotus, vol. 1, no. 1, (Special Holiday Number in Memoriam: James A. McNeill Whistler), December 1903, pp. 7-9, at pp. 8-9.
Books on Whistler
- Cary, Elizabeth Luther, The Works of James McNeill Whistler: A Study, with a Tentative List of Artist’s Works, New York, 1907, p. 166 (cat. no. 65).
- Duret, Théodore, Histoire de J. McN. Whistler et de son oeuvre, Paris, 1904, p. 122.
- Gallatin, Albert Eugene, Whistler's Art Dicta and Other Essays, Boston, 1904, p. 43.
- Gallatin, Albert Eugene, Whistler, Notes and Footnotes, and other Memoranda, New York and London, 1907, p. 34.
- Hartmann, Sadakichi C. (pseudonym of Sidney Allen), The Whistler Book: A Monograph of the Life and Position in Art of James McNeill Whistler, Together with a Careful Study of His More Important Works, Boston, 1910, p. 265.
- Merrill, Linda, With Kindest Regards. The Correspondence of Charles Lang Freer and James McNeill Whistler, 1890-1903, Washington, DC, and London, 1995, p. 51.
- Petri, Grischka, Arrangement in Business: The Art Markets and the Career of James McNeill Whistler, Hildesheim, 2011, pp. 227-28, 450, 518, 636, 644-45 note 413, 683, 689.
- Sickert, Bernhard, Whistler, London and New York, 1908, p. 159 (cat. no. 63).
- Caffin, Charles Henry, American Masters of Painting; Being Brief Appreciations of Some American Painters, New York, 1902, repr. f.p. 46.
- Robins, Anna Gruetzner (ed.), Walter Sickert: the Complete Writings on Art, Oxford, 2000, p. 94.
- Williamson, George Charles, Murray Marks and his Friends, London and New York, 1919, pp. 48-49.
- Stubbs, Burns A., Paintings, Pastels, Drawings, Prints and Copper Plates by and attributed to American and European Artists, together with a List of Original Whistleriana in the Freer Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 1948, p. 15 (06.103).
- Curry, David Park, James McNeill Whistler at the Freer Gallery of Art, New York and London, 1984, pp. 123, 293, pl. 26.
75th Annual Exhibition, Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Philadelphia, 1906 (cat. no. 445) as Nocturne: Blue and Silver, Bognor'.
Paintings in oil and pastel by James McNeill Whistler, Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1910 (cat. no. 9).
Selection of Art Objects from The Freer Collection, National Museum, Washington, DC, 1912 (cat. no. 22).
- Exhibition, University of Michigan Club, at C. L. Freer's house, Detroit, 1914 (cat. no. 6).
- Simpson, Marc, 'Whistler, Modernism, and the Creative Afflatus', in Simpson, Marc, Like Breath on Glass: Whistler, Inness, and the Art of Painting Softly, Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute, Williamstown, MA, 2008, pp. 24-51, at p. 32 (not exhibited).
- Merrill, Linda, et al., After Whistler: The Artist and His Influence on American Painting, High Museum of Art, Atlanta, 2003, pp. 31, 230, repr. fig. 114 (not exhibited).
- Spencer, Robin, 'Whistler's Early Relations with Britain and the Significance of Industry and Commerce for his Art', The Burlington Magazine, vol. 136, 1994, pp. 212-24 (Part I); 664-74 (Part II), at p. 671.
- Freer Gallery of Art website at https://asia.si.edu/object/F1906.103a-b.
- Revillon, Joseph Whistler, Draft Catalogue Raisonné of the Paintings of J. McN. Whistler, [ca 1945-1955], Glasgow University Library (cat. no. 391).
Last updated: 8th June 2021 by Margaret