Home > Catalogue > Browse > Panels from the Entrance Hall at 49 Princes Gate << >>
- Young, Andrew McLaren, Margaret F. MacDonald, Robin Spencer, and Hamish Miles, The Paintings of James McNeill Whistler, New Haven and London, 1980 (cat. no. 175), plates 121-23, as 'Panels from the Entrance Hall at 49 Princes Gate'.
- MacDonald, Margaret F., James McNeill Whistler. Drawings, Pastels and Watercolours. A Catalogue Raisonné, New Haven and London, 1995(cat. no. 577).
Authored by Whistler
- Osborn & Mercer, London, 17 June 1892, staircase at 49 Princes Gate repr. f.p. 6.
The Peacock Room painted for Mr. F. R. Leland [sic] by James McNeil Whistler, removed in its entirety from the late owner's residence and exhibited at Messrs Obach's Galleries, 168 New Bond Street, London, June 1904, p. 2.
- Child, Theodore, 'A Pre-Raphaelite Mansion', Harper's New Monthly Magazine, vol. 82, December 1890, pp. 81-99, at p. 81.
Books on Whistler
- Bendix, Deanna Marohn, Diabolical Designs: Paintings, Interiors, and Exhibitions of James McNeill Whistler, Washington and London, 1995, p. 120.
- Merrill, Linda, The Peacock Room. A Cultural Biography, New Haven and London, 1998, pp. 178-83.
- Pennell, Elizabeth Robins, and Joseph Pennell, The Life of James McNeill Whistler, 2 vols, London and Philadelphia, 1908, vol. 1, p. 203.
- Pennell, Elizabeth Robins, and Joseph Pennell, The Whistler Journal, Philadelphia, 1921, drawing repr. f.p. 104.
- Way, Thomas Robert, and G. R. Dennis, The Art of James McNeill Whistler: An Appreciation, 1st edition, London, 1903, pp. 101-02.
- Banham, Joanna (ed.), Encyclopedia of Interior Design, London & Chicago, 2 vols., 1997.
- Weinberg, Gail S., 'Aubrey Beardsley, the Last Pre-Raphaelite ', in Casteras, Susan P., Alicia Craig Faxon (eds.), Pre-Raphaelite Art in Its European Context, Madison, NJ, & London, 1995, p. 212.
- Curry, David Park, James McNeill Whistler at the Freer Gallery of Art, New York and London, 1984, pp. 160-61, 296, plate 72.
- Stubbs, Burns A., Paintings, Pastels, Drawings, Prints and Copper Plates by and attributed to American and European Artists, together with a List of Original Whistleriana in the Freer Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 1948, p. 13 (04.458-74).
- Young, A. McLaren, James McNeill Whistler, Arts Council Gallery, London, and Knoedler Galleries, New York, 1960 (cat. no. 117).
- Curry, David Park, ‘Total Control: Whistler at an Exhibition’, in: Ruth Fine (ed.), James McNeill Whistler: A Reexamination, Studies in the History of Art, vol. 19, Washington, DC, 1987, pp. 67-82, at p. 74.
- Freer Gallery of Art website, with links from https://asia.si.edu/object/F1904.458, to https://asia.si.edu/object/F1904.474.
- Greenacombe, John (ed.), 'Princes Gate and Princes Gardens: the Freake Estate, Development by C. J. Freake', in Survey of London: Volume 45, Knightsbridge, London, 2000, pp. 191-205, in British History Online website at http://www.british-history.ac.uk.
Last updated: 20th May 2021 by Margaret