Home > Catalogue > Browse > Harmony in Blue and Gold: The Little Blue Girl << >>
- Young, Andrew McLaren, Margaret F. MacDonald, Robin Spencer, and Hamish Miles, The Paintings of James McNeill Whistler, New Haven and London, 1980 (cat. no. 421) as 'Harmony in Blue and Gold: The Little Blue Girl', plates 278, 426-27.
Authored by Whistler
Oil Paintings, Water Colors, Pastels and Drawings: Memorial Exhibition of the Works of Mr. J. McNeill Whistler, Copley Society, Boston, 1904 (cat. no. 26) as 'The Little Blue and Gold Girl'.
Comparative exhibition of native and foreign art, Society of Art Collectors, New York, 1904 (cat. no. 178) as 'The Little Blue and Gold Girl'.
Œuvres de James McNeill Whistler, Palais de l'Ecole des Beaux-Arts, Paris, 1905 (cat. no. 48) as 'The Little Blue and Gold Girl'.
- Matsuki, Bunkio (ed.), 'Whistler Memorial Exhibition', Lotus, vol. 1, no. 1, (Special Holiday Number in Memoriam: James A. McNeill Whistler), December 1903, pp. 7-9, at p. 9.
Books on Whistler
- Cary, Elizabeth Luther, The Works of James McNeill Whistler: A Study, with a Tentative List of Artist’s Works, New York, 1907, p. 59 (cat. no. 26).
- Curry, David Park, James McNeill Whistler: Uneasy Pieces, New York, 2004, pp. 204, 207, 414 n.98, frame repr. p. 206.
- Laver, James, Whistler, 2nd edition, London, 1951, p. 129.
- Merrill, Linda, With Kindest Regards. The Correspondence of Charles Lang Freer and James McNeill Whistler, 1890-1903, Washington, DC, and London, 1995, nos. 22-23, 26, 29-32, 37, 50, pp. 101-03, 107-08, 113-18, 122-25, 146-48.
- Merrill, Linda, The Peacock Room. A Cultural Biography, New Haven and London, 1998, p. 321, fig. 7.15.
- Petri, Grischka, Arrangement in Business: The Art Markets and the Career of James McNeill Whistler, Hildesheim, 2011, pp. 516-18, 534, 693.
- Sickert, Bernhard, Whistler, London and New York, 1908, p. 167 (cat. no. 122).
- Spencer, Robin, James McNeill Whistler, London, 2003, p. 19.
- Sutherland, Daniel E., Whistler: A Life for Art's Sake, New Haven and London, 2014, p. 295.
- Sutton, Denys, Nocturne: The Art of James McNeill Whistler, London, 1963, p. 124.
- Lawton, Thomas, Freer: a Legacy of Art, Freer Gallery of Art, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC, 1993, p. 47, fig. 33.
- Stubbs, Burns A., Paintings, Pastels, Drawings, Prints and Copper Plates by and attributed to American and European Artists, together with a List of Original Whistleriana in the Freer Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 1948, pp. 14-15 (03.89, 03.308).
- Curry, David Park, James McNeill Whistler at the Freer Gallery of Art, New York and London, 1984, pp. 152-52, 296, pl. 61.
75th Annual Exhibition, Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Philadelphia, 1906 (cat. no. 444) as.
- Exhibited to the University of Michigan Club in the house of C. L. Freer, Detroit, 1914 (cat. no. 7).
- Levine, Gary (ed.), La Femme. The Influence of Whistler and Japanese masters on American Art 1880-1917, New York, 1983, p. 38 (not exhibited).
- Hobbs, Susan, 'A Connoisseur's Vision: The American Collection of Charles Lang Freer', American Art Review, vol. 4, August 1977, pp. 76-101, p. 96.
- Houfe, Simon, 'Whistler in the Country: His Unrecorded Friendship with Lewis Jarvis,' Apollo, vol. 98, no. 140, October 1973, pp. 282-85, repr. p. 285.
- Freer Gallery of Art website at https://asia.si.edu/object/F1903.89a-b.
- Revillon, Joseph Whistler, Draft Catalogue Raisonné of the Paintings of J. McN. Whistler, [ca 1945-1955], Glasgow University Library (cat. no. 263).
- Parkerson, Sarah Lawrence, Variations in Gold: The Stylistic Development of the Picture Frames used by James McNeill Whistlers, PhD thesis, University of Glasgow, 2007.
Last updated: 7th June 2021 by Margaret