Home > Catalogue > Browse > The Last of Old Westminster << >>
- Young, Andrew McLaren, Margaret F. MacDonald, Robin Spencer, and Hamish Miles, The Paintings of James McNeill Whistler, New Haven and London, 1980 (cat. no. 39), plate 13, as 'The Last of Old Westminster'.
Authored by Whistler
- Société Nationale des Beaux-Arts, Martinet's Gallery, Paris, 1862.
95th Exhibition of the Royal Academy of Arts, London, 1863 (cat. no. 352) as 'The Last of Old Westminster'.
Twentieth Annual Exhibition of the Society of American Artists at the Galleries of the American Fine Arts Society, New York, 1898 (cat. no. 282) as 'Westminster Bridge'.
Oil Paintings, Water Colors, Pastels and Drawings: Memorial Exhibition of the Works of Mr. J. McNeill Whistler, Copley Society, Boston, 1904 (cat. no. 34) as 'Westminster Bridge'.
Memorial Exhibition of the Works of the late James McNeill Whistler, First President of The International Society of Sculptors, Painters and Gravers, New Gallery, Regent Street, London, 1905 (cat. no. 35) as 'Old Westminster Bridge' and, in deluxe edition, 'The Last of Old Westminster', repr. f.p. 86 in latter.
Œuvres de James McNeill Whistler, Palais de l'Ecole des Beaux-Arts, Paris, 1905 (cat. no. 56) as 'Le vieux pont de Westminster. – (Old Westminster Bridge.)'.
- Anon., 'Royal Academy', The Standard, London, 2 May 1863, p. 3.
- Anon., 'Exhibition of the Royal Academy', The Times, London, 2 May 1863, p. 11.
- Anon., 'Exhibition of the R. A.– The Landscapes, & C.', The Illustrated London News, London, 3 May 1863, p. 574.
- Anon., 'Exhibition of the Royal Academy', The Observer, London, 17 May 1863, p. 6.
- ' "Notes on Art" by Artismator: The R. A. Exhibition, Concluding Notice', Sunday Times, London, 21 June 1863, p. 2.
- Anon., 'Art and Artists', Morning Post, London, 16 November 1903, pp. 4-5.
- Anon., 'New Plays and New Pictures', The Queen, 16 May 1863, p. 211.
- Anon., 'Fine Arts: Royal Academy', The Athenaeum, 23 May 1863, p. 688.
- Anon., 'Fine Arts: Royal Academy', The Spectator, 23 May 1863, p. 2035.
- Anon., 'Royal Academy Exhibition [3rd Notice])', The Saturday Review, 30 May 1863, p. 693.
- Anon., 'The Royal Academy', Art-Journal, 1 June 1863, p. 115.
- Anon., 'Art: Royal Academy [5th Notice]: Landscape', The Reader, 13 June 1863, p. 582.
- Rossetti, William Michael, ‘Art Exhibitions in London', Fine Arts Quarterly Review, vol. 1, October 1863, pp. 334-48, at p. 337.
- Bénédite, Léonce, 'Artistes Contemporains: Whistler', Gazette des beaux-arts, vol. 33, 1905, pp. 403-10, 496-511; vol. 34, 1905, pp. 142-58, 231-46, in vol. 33, repr. p. 503.
Books on Whistler
- Cary, Elizabeth Luther, The Works of James McNeill Whistler: A Study, with a Tentative List of Artist’s Works, New York, 1907 (cat. no. 34).
- Curry, David Park, James McNeill Whistler: Uneasy Pieces, New York, 2004, p. 419 n.60.
- Fleming, Gordon, The Young Whistler 1834-66, London, Boston, Sydney, 1978, p. 179.
- MacDonald, Margaret F., 'Joanna Hiffernan and James Whistler: an Artistic Partnership' in Margaret F. MacDonald (ed.), The Woman in White: Joanna Hiffernan and James McNeill Whistler, New Haven and Washington, 2020, pp. 15-31.
- Pennell, Elizabeth Robins, and Joseph Pennell, The Life of James McNeill Whistler, 2 vols, London and Philadelphia, 1908, vol. 1, pp. 100-01.
- Petri, Grischka, Arrangement in Business: The Art Markets and the Career of James McNeill Whistler, Hildesheim, 2011, pp. 59, 66, 68-69, 123, 535, 542-43.
- Sickert, Bernhard, Whistler, London and New York, 1908, pp. 10, 102 (cat. no. 11).
- Du Maurier, Daphne, (ed.), The Young George du Maurier: A Selection of his Letters, 1860-67, London, 1951, p. 160.
- Meier-Graefe, Julius, Modern Art, 2 vols., London and New York, 1908, vol. 2, p. 206.
- Young, A. McLaren, James McNeill Whistler, Arts Council Gallery, London, and Knoedler Galleries, New York, 1960 (cat. no. 7).
- Taynton, Carol (intro.), Whistler in New England Collections, [checklist], Boston, 1977 (no cat. number).
- Merrill, Linda, et al., After Whistler: The Artist and His Influence on American Painting, High Museum of Art, Atlanta, 2003, p. 93 (not in exhibition).
- Lochnan, Katharine, Turner, Whistler, Monet, Art Gallery of Ontario, Toronto; Galeries nationales du Grand Palais, Paris; Tate Britain, London, 2004-2005, repr. p. 118 (not exhibited).
Ayako Ono, ホイッスラー展. James McNeill Whistler Retrospective, National Museum of Modern Art, Kyōto, 2014, and Yokohama Museum of Art, 2014–2015 (cat. no. 50).
- MacDonald, Margaret, and Patricia de Montfort, An American in London: Whistler and the Thames, Dulwich Picture Gallery, Addison Gallery of American Art, Freer Gallery of Art, 2013-2014 (cat. no. 26).
- Mahey, John A. (ed.). 'The Letters of James McNeill Whistler to George A. Lucas', Art Bulletin, vol. 49, September 1967, pp. 247-57, at p. 250.
- Hamilton, Adrian, 'The River Runs Deep: Whistler in London', The Independent, London, 28 April 2015, website at https://www.independent.co.uk (acc. 2019).
- Museum of Fine Arts, Boston website at http://www.mfa.org/collections.
- MacDonald, Margaret and Nadine Loach, 'Whistler's Ghosts', James McNeill Whistler and his Art, A blog about James McNeill Whistler, March 2014, website at https://jmcnwhistler.wordpress.com/2014/03.
- Revillon, Joseph Whistler, Draft Catalogue Raisonné of the Paintings of J. McN. Whistler, [ca 1945-1955], Glasgow University Library (cat. no. 48) 'The last of Old Westminster Bridge'.
- Goebel, Catherine Carter, Arrangement in Black and White: the Making of a Whistler Legend, PhD thesis, 2 vols, Evanston, Northwestern University, 1988, Appendix 4.
Last updated: 4th June 2021 by Margaret