- Young, Andrew McLaren, Margaret F. MacDonald, Robin Spencer, and Hamish Miles, The Paintings of James McNeill Whistler, New Haven and London, 1980 (cat. no. 145) as 'Nocturne: Grey and Gold – Westminster Bridge', plates 115, 402.
- MacDonald, Margaret F., James McNeill Whistler. Drawings, Pastels and Watercolours. A Catalogue Raisonné, New Haven and London, 1995 (cat. no. 569).
Authored by Whistler
Nocturnes, Marines & Chevalet Pieces, Goupil Gallery, London, 1892 (cat. nos. 4, 19).
9th Winter Exhibition of Cabinet Pictures in Oil, Dudley Gallery, London, 1875 (cat. no. 160) as 'Nocturne in Blue and Gold, No. 3'.
I Summer Exhibition, Grosvenor Gallery, London, 1877 (cat. no. 6) as 'Nocturne in Blue and Gold'.
Nocturnes, Marines & Chevalet Pieces, Goupil Gallery, London, 1892 (cat. no. 19) as 'Nocturne. Grey and Gold – Westminster Bridge').
Memorial Exhibition of the Works of the late James McNeill Whistler, First President of The International Society of Sculptors, Painters and Gravers, New Gallery, Regent Street, London, 1905 (cat. no. 36) as 'Nocturne, Blue and Silver'.
See Merrill, Linda, A Pot of Paint: Aesthetics on Trial in 'Whistler v. Ruskin', Washington and London, 1992, p. 300 etc., for survey of reports on the Whistler v. Ruskin trial of 1878.
- Anon., 'The Dudley Gallery – Winter Exhibition', The Scotsman, Edinburgh, 23 October 1875, p. 7.
- Anon., 'The Dudley Gallery', London Evening Standard, London, 29 October 1875, p. 2.
- Anon., 'The Dudley Gallery', Globe, London, 30 October 1875, p. 6.
- Anon., 'The Dudley Gallery', The Graphic, London, 30 October 1875, p. 10.
- Anon., ['J. F. R.'], 'The Dudley Gallery Winter Exhibition', Pictorial World, London, 30 October 1875, p. 135.
- Anon., 'The Dudley Gallery', The Examiner, London, 13 November 1875, p. 21.
- Anon., [Tom Taylor], 'Winter Exhibitions: The Dudley', The Times, London, 2 December 1875, p. 4.
- Anon., 'The Grosvenor Gallery', The Scotsman, Edinburgh, 2 May 1877, p. 7.
- Anon., 'Mr. Whistler and Mr. Ruskin', Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette, 28 November 1878, p. 3.
- Rossetti, William Michael, 'The Dudley Gallery', Academy, London, 30 October 1875, p. 462.
- 'The Dudley Gallery Winter Exhibition', The Art Journal, February 1876, pp. 45-46.
- Colvin, Sidney, 'The Grosvenor Gallery', Fortnightly Review, vol. 21 (n.s.), 1877, pp. 820-33.
Books on Whistler
- Cary, Elizabeth Luther, The Works of James McNeill Whistler: A Study, with a Tentative List of Artist’s Works, New York, 1907, p. 215 (cat. no. 390).
- Duret, Théodore, Histoire de J. McN. Whistler et de son oeuvre, Paris, 1904, woodcut repr. p. 59.
- MacDonald, Margaret F., 'What is a Whistler?', in: Glazer, Lee, Margaret F. MacDonald, Linda Merrill, and Nigel Thorp (eds), James McNeill Whistler in Context. Essays from the Whistler Centenary Symposium, University of Glasgow, 2003, Washington, DC, 2008, pp. 1-18, at pp. 4-5.
- Merrill, Linda, A Pot of Paint: Aesthetics on Trial in 'Whistler v. Ruskin', Washington and London, 1992, pp. 37-38, 80, 83, 126, 142-43, 146, 179.
- Pennell, Elizabeth Robins, and Joseph Pennell, The Life of James McNeill Whistler, 2 vols, London and Philadelphia, 1908, vol. 1, pp. 199, 234; vol. 2, repr. f.p. 60.
- Petri, Grischka, Arrangement in Business: The Art Markets and the Career of James McNeill Whistler, Hildesheim, 2011, pp. 187, 225-27, 250, 260, 653.
- Sickert, Bernhard, Whistler, London and New York, 1908 (cat. no. 48).
- Singletary, Suzanne M., James McNeill Whistler and France: A Dialogue in Paint, Poetry, and Music, London and New York, 2017, p. 16.
- Spencer, Robin, Whistler, New York, 1990, pp. 90-91.
- Casteras, Susan P., and Colleen Denney, The Grosvenor Gallery: A Palace of Art in Victorian England, New Haven, 1996, p. 105.
- Cook, E. T. and A. Wedderburn , The Works of John Ruskin. Library Edition: 39 Volumes, (1903-1912), Cambridge, 1907, vol. 29, pp. xxii-xxiii, 581.
- Denney, Colleen, At the Temple of Art: The Grosvenor Gallery, 1877-1890, Madison, NJ, 1999, p. 263.
- Marks, Richard, The Burrell Collection, Glasgow, 1996.
- Young, A. McLaren, James McNeill Whistler, Arts Council Gallery, London, and Knoedler Galleries, New York, 1960 (cat. no. 28).
- Dorment, Richard, and Margaret F. MacDonald, James McNeill Whistler, Tate Gallery, London, Musée d’Orsay, Paris, and National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 1994-1995 (cat. no. 49).
The Birth of Impressionism: from Constable to Monet, Glasgow Museums, 1997.
- MacDonald, Margaret, and Patricia de Montfort, An American in London: Whistler and the Thames, Dulwich Picture Gallery, Addison Gallery of American Art, Freer Gallery of Art, 2013-2014 (cat. no. 66).
- Lochnan, Katharine, 'Turner, Whistler, Monet: an artistic dialogue', pp. 15-35, repr, p. 22, in Lochnan, Katharine A. (ed.), Turner, Whistler, Monet, Art Gallery of Ontario, Toronto, 2004; Grand Palais, Paris, 2004-2005; Tate Britain, London, 2005 (cat. no. 45).
- Simpson, Marc, 'Whistler, Modernism, and the Creative Afflatus', in Simpson, Marc, Like Breath on Glass: Whistler, Inness, and the Art of Painting Softly, Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute, Williamstown, MA, 2008, pp. 24-51, at pp. 31, 36, fig. 9.
- Jacobi, Carol, Van Gogh and Britain, Tate Britain, 2019.
The Journal of Pre-Raphaelite Studies, Arizona State University, 1995, vol. 4, p. 86.
- Pritchard, Claudia, 'Van Gogh and Britain, Tate Britain, review: a remarkable way to see "Sunflowers" and "Starry Night" afresh', Inews, 25 March 2019, website at https://inews.co.uk.
- Siegal, Nina, 'Nocturne: Grey and Gold – Westminster Bridge', New York Times, 26 March 2019, repr., website at https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/26.
- ArtUK website at https://artuk.org.
- Revillon, Joseph Whistler, Draft Catalogue Raisonné of the Paintings of J. McN. Whistler, [ca 1945-1955], Glasgow University Library (cat. no. 75) 'Nocturne, blue and silver / Nocturne in grey and gold'.
- Gomberts, Will, 'Will Gompertz reviews Van Gogh and Britain at Tate Britain in London', BBC news, website at https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-47740423.