The Loves of the Lobsters dates from 1879. 1
'The Loves of the Lobsters' was seen by Augustus J. C. Hare (1834-1903) in Whistler's White House in Tite Street, Chelsea, on 13 May 1879. 2 On 25 May 1879 Alan Summerly Cole (1846-1934) noted in his diary, 'He had painted some odd things over unfinished work. Two lobsters called "Ye loves of ye lobsters".' 3
The Pennells described it as the first of three satirical pictures showing Frederick Richards Leyland (1832-1892): Leyland was 'the most prominent lobster in shirt-frills.' 4 Whistler intended that The Loves of the Lobsters [YMSM 209] should be in his studio with The Gold Scab [YMSM 208] and Mount Ararat [YMSM 210] when F. R. Leyland and the committee of Whistler's creditors made their official inspection of the White House in 1879.
Last updated: 10th November 2019 by Margaret