Home > Catalogue > Browse > The Thames in Ice << >>
- Young, Andrew McLaren, Margaret F. MacDonald, Robin Spencer, and Hamish Miles, The Paintings of James McNeill Whistler, New Haven and London, 1980 (cat. no. 36), plate 24, as 'The Thames in Ice'.
Authored by Whistler
94th Exhibition of the Royal Academy of Arts, London, 1862 (cat. no. 114) as 'The Twenty-fifth of December, 1860, on the Thames'.
85th exhibition Salon de 1867, Palais des Champs Elysées, Paris, 1867 (cat. no. 1562) as 'Sur la Tamise; l'Hiver'.
Exhibition of International Art, International Society of Sculptors, Painters and Gravers, Knightsbridge, London, 1898 (cat. no. 175) as 'Thames in Ice'.
The Exhibition of the Royal Scottish Academy of Painting, Sculpture, and Architecture, MDCCCXCIX. The Seventy-third, Edinburgh, 1899 (cat. no. 209) as 'Thames in Ice'.
International Exhibition, Glasgow Art Galleries, Glasgow, 1901 (cat. no. 500) as 'The Thames in Ice'.
Oil Paintings, Water Colors, Pastels and Drawings: Memorial Exhibition of the Works of Mr. J. McNeill Whistler, Copley Society, Boston, 1904 (cat. no. 31) as 'The Thames in Ice'.
Œuvres de James McNeill Whistler, Palais de l'Ecole des Beaux-Arts, Paris, 1905 (cat. no. 57) as 'La Tamise gelée. – (The Thames in Ice.)'.
- Anon., 'The Royal Academy Exhibition: Third Notice', Illustrated Times, London, 24 March 1862, p. 3.
- Anon, 'The International Gallery', Morning Post, London, 18 May 1898, p. 8.
- Anon, 'Art Exhibitions', Graphic, London, 21 May 1898, p. 14.
- Anon., 'Royal Scottish Academy', Glasgow Herald, Glasgow, 17 February 1899, p. 9.
- Anon., 'Scottish Academy. Annual Exhibition', Dundee Courier, Dundee, 17 February 1899, p. 4.
The Baillie, Glasgow, 10 July 1901.
- Anon., 'Art and Artists', Globe, London, 22 July 1903, p. 8.
- Anon., 'A £5,000 Whistler for America', London Daily News, London, 19 November 1903, p. 5.
- Anon., 'Whistler's Peacock Room', London Daily News, London, 23 December 1904, p. 4.
- Anon., 'The Royal Academy Exhibition (first notice)', The London Review, 10 May 1862, p. 439.
- Anon., 'Fine Arts: Exhibition of the Royal Academy, First Notice', The Spectator, 10 May 1862, p. 521.
- Anon., 'Fine Arts: Royal Academy, Second Notice', The Spectator, 17 May 1862, p. 549.
- Anon., 'Fine Arts: R.A.', The Athenaeum, 24 May 1862, p. 699.
- Dartmouth, Thomas, 'International Art at Knightsbridge', The Art Journal, August 1898, pp. 249-53, repr. p. 249.
- Matsuki, Bumkio (ed.), 'Whistler Memorial Exhibition', Lotus, vol. 1, no. 1, (Special Holiday Number in Memoriam: James A. McNeill Whistler), December 1903, pp. 7-9, at p. 9.
- Bénédite, Léonce, 'Artistes Contemporains: Whistler', Gazette des beaux-arts, vol. 33, 1905, pp. 403-10, 496-511; vol. 34, 1905, pp. 142-58, 231-46, at vol. 33, repr. p. 501.
Books on Whistler
- Bell, Nancy R. E., James McNeill Whistler, London, 1904, repr. p. 28.
- Cary, Elizabeth Luther, The Works of James McNeill Whistler: A Study, with a Tentative List of Artist’s Works, New York, 1907, p. 160 (cat. no. 31).
- Crane, Walter, William Morris to Whistler: Papers and addresses on art and craft and the commonweal, London, 1911, reprint 2018, p. 146.
- Lane, James W., Whistler, (American Artists Series), New York, 1942, p. 87.
- Merrill, Linda, With Kindest Regards. The Correspondence of Charles Lang Freer and James McNeill Whistler, 1890-1903, Washington, DC, and London, 1995, p. 154.
- Pennell, Elizabeth Robins, and Joseph Pennell, The Life of James McNeill Whistler, 2 vols, London and Philadelphia, 1908,vol. 1, pp. 89, 96, 140.
- Pennell, Elizabeth Robins, and Joseph Pennell, The Whistler Journal, Philadelphia, 1921, pp. 79, 82.
- Petri, Grischka, Arrangement in Business: The Art Markets and the Career of James McNeill Whistler, Hildesheim, 2011, pp. 59, 62, 119, 311, 518.
- Pousette-Dart, Nathaniel, (ed.), James McNeill Whistler,(with introduction by Joseph & Elizabeth Robins Pennell), New York, 1924, pl. 9.
- Prideaux, Tom, The World of Whistler, New York, 1970, p. 32.
- Sickert, Bernhard, Whistler, London and New York, 1908, p. 150 (cat. no. 9).
- Sutherland, Daniel E., Whistler: A Life for Art's Sake, New Haven and London, 2014, p. 63.
- Sutton, Denys, Nocturne: The Art of James McNeill Whistler, London, 1963, p. 41.
- Sutton, Denys, James McNeill Whistler: Paintings, Etchings, Pastels and Watercolours, London, 1966, pl. 13.
- Taylor, Hilary, James McNeill Whistler, London, 1978, p. 17.
- Way, Thomas Robert, and G. R. Dennis, The Art of James McNeill Whistler: An Appreciation, 1st edition, London, 1903, repr. p. 56.
- Weintraub, Stanley, Whistler: A Biography, London, 1974, p. 67.
- Born, Wolfgang, American Landscape Painting: an interpretation, New Haven, 1948, fig. 102.
- Langdon, Helen, Impressionist Seasons, New York, 1986, p. 76.
- Lawton, Thomas, Freer: a Legacy of Art, Freer Gallery of Art, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC, 1993, P. 49, fig. 34.
- Park, Edwards, Treasures Of the Smithsonian, Washington DC, 1983, p. 363.
- Robinson, Alan, Imagining London, 1770-1900, London, 2004, p. 154.
- Curry, David Park, James McNeill Whistler at the Freer Gallery of Art, New York and London, 1984, pp. 117, 292, 306 note 20.2, repr. pl. 20.
- Stubbs, Burns A., Paintings, Pastels, Drawings, Prints and Copper Plates by and attributed to American and European Artists, together with a List of Original Whistleriana in the Freer Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 1948, p. 12 (01.107).
- Merrill, Linda, et al., After Whistler: The Artist and His Influence on American Painting, High Museum of Art, Atlanta, 2003, p. 93 (not exhibited).
- Goldin, Marco, Gli impressionisti e la neve: la Francia e l'Europa, Palazzina della Promotrice delle belle arti, Turin, 2004-2005, p. 157 (not exhibited).
- House, John, "From realism to 'impression' ", in Lochnan, Katharine, Turner, Whistler, Monet, Art Gallery of Ontario, Toronto; Galeries nationales du Grand Palais, Paris; Tate Britain, London, 2004-2005, pp. 109-10, repr. p. 109 (not exhibited).
- House, John, Petra ten-Doesschate Chu, and Jennifer Hardin, Monet's London: Artists' Reflections on the Thames, 1859–1914, Museum of Fine Arts, St Petersburg, FA, 2005, fig. 7 (not exhibited).
- Andreeva, Galina, and Margaret F. MacDonald, Whistler and Russia, State Tretyakow Gallery, Moscow, 2006, p. 106, repr. (not exhibited).
- Fowle, Francis, Impressionism and Scotland, National Gallery of Scotland, Edinburgh, 2008, fig. 76 (not exhibited).
- MacDonald, Margaret, and Patricia de Montfort, An American in London: Whistler and the Thames, Dulwich Picture Gallery, Addison Gallery of American Art, Freer Gallery of Art, 2013-2014, p. 81 (not exhibited).
- Dreyfus, Albert, 'James Abbott MacNeill Whistler', Die Kunst für Alle, 1907, vol. 22, pp. 201-16, repr. p. 217.
- Curry, David Park, 'Whistler and Decoration', Antiques, vol. 126, no. 5, November 1984, pp. 1186-99, at p. 1197.
- Hobbs, Susan, 'A Connoisseur's Vision: The American Collection of Charles Lang Freer', American Art Review, vol. 4, August 1977, pp. 76-101, at p. 94.
- Hobbs, Susan, 'Whistler at the Freer Gallery of Art', Magazines Antiques, vol. 121, November 1981, pp. 1194-202, pl. 4.
- Page, Jean Jepson, ‘James McNeill Whistler, Baltimorean, and The White Girl: A Speculative Essay’, Maryland Historical Magazine, vol. 84, Spring 1989, pp. 10-38, fig. 3.
- Freer Gallery of Art website at https://asia.si.edu/object/F1901.107a-b.
- Revillon, Joseph Whistler, Draft Catalogue Raisonné of the Paintings of J. McN. Whistler, [ca 1945-1955], Glasgow University Library (cat. no. 47) 'The Thames in Ice . The twenty fifth of December 1860 / On the Thames'.
- Becker, Eugene Matthew, Whistler and the Aesthetic Movement, Ph.D. dissertation, Princeton, 1979.
- Goebel, Catherine Carter, Arrangement in Black and White: the Making of a Whistler Legend, PhD thesis, 2 vols, Evanston, Northwestern University, 1988, Appendix A: The Royal Academy.
- Gorder, Judith Elaine, James McNeill Whistler: A Study in the oil Paintings 1855-1869, PhD dissertation, University of Iowa, Iowa City, 1973.
- Siewert, John, Whistler's Nocturnes and the aesthetic subject, PhD., University of Michigan, 1994, p. 43.
Last updated: 6th February 2021 by Margaret