Home > Catalogue > Browse > The Artist in his Studio (Whistler in his Studio) << >>
- Young, Andrew McLaren, Margaret F. MacDonald, Robin Spencer, and Hamish Miles, The Paintings of James McNeill Whistler, New Haven and London, 1980 (cat. no. 63), plate 37, as 'Whistler in his Studio'.
Authored by Whistler
Retrospective Exhibition, College for Working Men and Women, London, 1889 (no catalogue) described as 'The Artist in his Studio'.
3rd exhibition, Society of Portrait Painters, London, 1893 (cat. no. 183) as 'An Interior'.
A Collection of Selected Works by Painters of the English, French & Dutch Schools, Goupil Gallery, London, 1898 (cat. no. 22) as 'In the Studio'.
1904: City of Bradford Exhibition, Bradford, 1904 (cat. no. 135) as 'The Artist in his Studio'.
Memorial Exhibition of the Works of the late James McNeill Whistler, First President of The International Society of Sculptors, Painters and Gravers, New Gallery, Regent Street, London, 1905 (cat. no. 13) as 'Whistler in his studio', de luxe edition, repr. f.p. 42.
- Anon., Manchester Examiner, Manchester, 2 May 1889.
- Anon., 'Art', The Spectator, London, 3 June 1893, p. 17.
- Anon., Daily Telegraph, London, 10 March 1898, reprinted in exh. cat., London, Goupil, 1898 (2nd edition).
- Anon., 'Art Exhibitions', The Times, London, 21 March 1898, p. 14, as 'In the Studio'.
- 'Mr. Whistler in His Studio', Pall Mall Budget, 2 February 1893, p. 163, repr.
- Anon., 'Some Early Pictures by Mr. Whistler', The Art Journal, October 1897, pp. 289-91, at p. 289, repr.
- Bénédite, Léonce, 'Artistes Contemporains: Whistler', Gazette des beaux-arts, vol. 33, 1905, pp. 403-10, 496-511; vol. 34, 1905, pp. 142-58, 231-46, in vol. 34 at p. 155.
Books on Whistler
- Cary, Elizabeth Luther, The Works of James McNeill Whistler: A Study, with a Tentative List of Artist’s Works, New York, 1907, p. 212 (cat. no. 375).
- Curry, David Park, James McNeill Whistler: Uneasy Pieces, New York, 2004, pp. 114, 116, 121 as 'The Artist in His Studio'.
- Denker, Eric, In Pursuit of the Butterfly, Seattle, 1995.
- Gallatin, Albert Eugene, The Portraits and Caricatures of James McNeill Whistler: An Iconography, London, New York and Toronto, 1913, p. 24 (cat. no. 6).
- Gallatin, Albert Eugene, 'Whistler - the Self Portraits in Oil', Art in America, vol. 1, July 1913, pp. 151-58, at pp. 154-56.
- Gallatin, Albert Eugene, Portraits of Whistler: A Critical Study and an Iconography, New York and London, 1918, pp. 27-28 (cat. no. 6, dated ca 1874).
- Glazer, Lee, Emily Jacobsen, Blyth McCarthy, and Katherine Roeder, Whistler in Watercolor. Lovely Little Games, Freer Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 2019, p. 185, repr. p. 184.
- MacDonald, Margaret F., Susan Galassi, Aileen Ribeiro, and Patricia de Montfort, Whistler, Women and Fashion, New Haven and London, 2003, p. 64.
- MacDonald, Margaret F., 'Joanna Hiffernan and James Whistler: an Artistic Partnership' in Margaret F. MacDonald (ed.), The Woman in White: Joanna Hiffernan and James McNeill Whistler, New Haven and Washington, 2020, pp. 15-31
- Sickert, Bernhard, Whistler, London and New York, 1908, p. 69.
- Pennell, Elizabeth Robins, and Joseph Pennell, The Life of James McNeill Whistler, 2 vols, London and Philadelphia, 1908, vol. 1, pp. 184-85, repr.
- Pennell, Elizabeth Robins, and Joseph Pennell, The Life of James McNeill Whistler, 5th (revised) edition, London and Philadelphia, 1911, p. 129, repr. f.p. 196.
- Pennell, Elizabeth Robins, and Joseph Pennell, The Life of James McNeill Whistler (6th edition), 1920, pp. 130-31.
- Pennell, Elizabeth Robins, and Joseph Pennell, The Whistler Journal, Philadelphia, 1921, p. 70.
- Sickert, Bernhard, Whistler, London and New York, 1908 (cat. no. 164).
- Spink, Nesta R., Harriet K. Stratis, and Martha Tedeschi, The Lithographs of James McNeill Whistler, (gen. eds, Harriet K. Stratis and Martha Tedeschi), 2 vols., Chicago, 1998, p. 73, repr.
- Barter, Judith A., et al, Age of American Impressionism: Masterpieces from the Art Institute of Chicago, Art Institute of Chicago/Yale University Press, 2011, no. 11.
- Bryant, Lorinda Munson, American Pictures and Their Painters, New York, 1917, p. 156.
- Van Devanter, Ann C., and Alfred V. Frankenstein, American Self Portraits 1670-1973, International Exhibitions Foundation, Washington, DC, 1974, p. 95, no. 40, repr.
- [Exhibition], Reinhardt, New York, November 1911 (cat. no. unknown).
Thirteenth Annual Exhibition of Selected Paintings by American Artists, Albright Art
Gallery, Buffalo, 1919.
Exhibition of Forty Paintings presented to the Art Institute of Chicago by the Friends of
American Art, Milwaukee Art Institute, 1925 (cat. no. 40).
A Century of progress, Art Institute of Chicago, 1933 (cat. no. 488). A Century of Progress: Exhibition of Paintings and Sculpture, Art Institute of Chicago,
1934 (cat. no. 418).
Summer Exhibitions, Art Institute of Chicago, 1939 ( cat. no. 1).
- McIntyre, Robert G., Whistler: Loan Exhibition, New York, Macbeth Gallery, 1947 (cat. no. 6).
- Nineteenth Century American Masters, Milwaukee Art Institute, 1948 (cat. no. 12).
James McNeill Whistler Seventeenth Anniversary Exhibition, Lyman Allyn Museum, New London, CT, 1949 (cat. no. 11).
Expatriates: Whistler, Cassatt, Sargent, Munson-Williams-Proctor Arts Institute, Utica, NY, 1953 (cat. no. 5).
- Sweet, Frederick A. (ed.), Sargent, Whistler and Mary Cassatt, Art Institute of Chicago and Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1954 (cat. no. 57).
- A Century of American Painting: Masterpieces Loaned by The Art Institute of Chicago,
Durand Art Institute, Lake Forest College, 1957 (cat. no. 2) as 'The Artist in the Studio'.
- Young, A. McLaren, James McNeill Whistler, Arts Council Gallery, London, and Knoedler Galleries, New York, 1960 (cat. no. 18).
- Calloway, Stephen, and Lynn Federle Orr (eds), The Cult of Beauty: The Aesthetic Movement 1860-1900, Victoria and Albert Museum, London, 2011, pp. 98, 159, fig. 66 (not exhibited).
Whistler’s Mother: An American Icon Returns to Chicago, Art Institute of Chicago, 2017 (no catalogue).
- 'Reinhardt Gallery Opens', American Art News, vol. 10, no. 7, 25 November 1911, p. 4.
- Anon., 'Accessions to Collections', Bulletin of the Art Institute of Chicago, vol. 5, January 1912, p. 61.
Connoisseur, vol. 95, 1935, p. 74, repr.
- Ormond, Richard, ‘Private Life of a Victorian Painter: John Gilbert’, Country Life, vol. 140, 25 August 1966, pp. 462-65, at p. 464, no. 4 repr.
- MacDonald, Margaret F., 'Whistler's Designs for a Catalogue of Blue and White Nankin Porcelain', Connoisseur, vol. 198, August 1975, pp. 290-95, at p. 291.
- MacDonald, Margaret F., 'James McNeill Whistler: An Artist on Artists', in: Visual Culture in Britain, vol. 16, Issue 2, 2015, pp. 200-22, Taylor and Francis Online, DOI: 10.1080/14714787.2015.1038437. website.
The Spectator website at http://archive.spectator.co.uk.
- Meacock, Joanna, 'James Abbott McNeill Whistler', Later Victorian Portraits Catalogue, National Portrait Gallery website at https://www.npg.org.uk/research.
- Art Institute of Chicago website at http://www.artic.edu.
- Clarke, Jay A., and Sarah Kelly Oehler, eds., Whistler Paintings and Drawings at the Art Institute of Chicago, The Art Institute of Chicago, 2020, website.
- Stephanie L. Strother, 'Cat. 8 The Artist in His Studio, 1865/66, 1895: Curatorial Entry,' in Whistler Paintings and Drawings at the Art Institute of Chicago, The Art Institute of Chicago, 2020, URL.
- Muir, Kimberley, 'Cat. 8 The Artist in His Studio, 1865/66, 1895: Technical Summary,' in Whistler Paintings and Drawings at the Art Institute of Chicago, The Art Institute of Chicago, 2020, URL.
- Revillon, Joseph Whistler, Draft Catalogue Raisonné of the Paintings of J. McN. Whistler, [ca 1945-1955], Glasgow University Library (cat. no. 3) 'The artist in his studio / Whistler in his studio'.
Last updated: 4th December 2020 by Margaret