Home > Catalogue > Browse > The Coast of Brittany << >>
- Young, Andrew McLaren, Margaret F. MacDonald, Robin Spencer, and Hamish Miles, The Paintings of James McNeill Whistler, New Haven and London, 1980 (cat. no. 37), plate 26, as 'The Coast of Brittany'.
Authored by Whistler
- Société Nationale des Beaux-Arts, Martinet's Gallery, Paris, 1861 as 'Seule'.
The Exhibition of the Royal Academy of Arts. MDCCCLXII. The Ninety-Fourth, Royal Academy of Arts, London, 1862 (cat. no. 670) as 'Alone with the Tide'.
Catalogue of the forty-ninth annual exhibition of the National Academy of Design, National Academy of Design, New York, 1874 (cat. no. 325) as 'Scene on the Coast of Brittany'.
Charity Art Exhibition, 1876: Catalogue of Paintings, Baltimore, 1876 (cat. no. 44) as 'Coast Scene - Brittany'.
Catalogue of the First Exhibition. Society of American Artists at Kurtz Gallery, New York, New York, 1878 (cat. no. 76) as 'Coast of Brittany'.
- Exhibition of Pictures, Union League Club, New York, 1881 (cat. no. unknown) as 'The Brittany Coast' (press cutting, [10 April 1881], GUL Whistler PC 4, p. 61).
Loan Collection of Paintings and Sculpture, Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1881 (cat. no. 204) as 'On the Coast of Brittany'.
- Copley Society (ed.), Oil Paintings, Water Colors, Pastels & Drawings: Memorial Exhibition of the Works of Mr. J. McNeill Whistler, Boston, 1904 (cat. no. 42) as 'The Coast of Brittany'.
- The International Society of Sculptors, Painters, and Gravers (ed.), Memorial Exhibition of the Works of the Late J. McNeill Whistler, London, 1905 (cat. no. 11) as 'The Coast of Brittany', repr. f.p. 40 (de luxe edition).
- Anon., 'The Royal Academy Exhibition: Third Notice', Illustrated Times, London, 24 March 1862, p. 3.
- [Anon.], 'The Art Exhibition', Baltimore American and Commercial Advertiser, Baltimore, 20 March 1876, p. 4.
- Anon., 'The Union League', unidentified newspaper, New York, [10 April 1881] (press cutting, GUL Whistler PC 4, p. 61).
- Anon., 'Fine Arts: Exhibition of the Royal Academy, First Notice', The Spectator, 10 May 1862, p. 521.
- Anon., 'Fine Arts: Royal Academy, Second Notice', The Spectator, 17 May 1862, p. 549.
- Anon., 'Fine Arts: R.A.', The Athenaeum, 24 May 1862, p. 699.
- Bénédite, Léonce, 'Artistes Contemporains: Whistler', Gazette des beaux-arts, vol. 33, 1905, pp. 403-10, 496-511; vol. 34, 1905, pp. 142-58, 231-46, at vol. 33, pp. 498-99.
Books on Whistler
- Lane, James W., Whistler, (American Artists Series), New York, 1942, p. 92.
- Pennell, Elizabeth Robins, and Joseph Pennell, The Life of James McNeill Whistler, 2 vols, London and Philadelphia, 1908, vol. 1, pp. 94, 96, repr. f.p. 94.
- Pennell, Elizabeth Robins, and Joseph Pennell, The Whistler Journal, Philadelphia, 1921, p. 156.
- Sutton, Denys, Nocturne: The Art of James McNeill Whistler, London, 1963, p. 34.
- Taylor, Hilary, James McNeill Whistler, London, 1978, p. 19.
- Du Maurier, Daphne, (ed.), The Young George du Maurier: A Selection of his Letters, 1860-67, London, 1951, pp. 104-05.
- Gaunt, William, Marine Painting: An historical survey, London, 1975, p. 167, repr. p. 166.
Landscape Painting, Wadsworth Atheneum, Hartford, 1931 (cat. no. 125).
A Century of Progress, Exhibition of Paintings and Sculpture, Art Institute of Chicago, 1934 (cat. no. 420).
- On loan to Phillips Academy, Andover, MA, 1932, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, and Chicago Institute of Arts, 1934.
American Paintings from 1860 until today, Cleveland Museum of Art, 1936 (cat. no. 206).
A Century of American Landscape Painting, 1800 to 1900, Whitney Museum of American Art, New York, 1938 (cat. no. 38).
- On loan to Springfield Museum of Fine Arts, 1938.
Trois siècles d'art aux États-Unis: exposition organisée en collaboration avec le Museum of Modern Art, New-York, Musée du Jeu de Paume, Paris, 1938 (cat. no. 175).
American Landscape Painting, Whitney Museum, New York, 1939 (cat. no. 38).
- Goodrich, Lloyd, A Century of American Landscape Painting, 1800-1900, Carnegie Institute, Pittsburgh, 1939 (cat. no. 14).
Art in our time, New York World's Fair, 1939 (cat. no. 44).
Five Centuries of Marine Painting, Detroit Institute of Arts, 1942 (cat. no. 114).
Whistler Loan Exhibition, Macbeth Gallery, New York, 1947 (cat. no. 12).
The Coast and the Sea, Brooklyn Museum, 1948-1949 (cat. no. 126).
- White, Nelson C., James McNeill Whistler Seventeenth Anniversary Exhibition, Lyman Allyn Museum, New London, CT, 1949 (cat. no. 6).
Hundert Jahre Amerikanische Malerei, Frankfurt am Main, Munich, Berlin and Dusseldorf, 1953 (cat. no. 87).
Pittura Americana del XIX secolo, Milan, Trieste and Rome, 1954 (cat. no. 88).
Masterpieces from the Wadsworth Athenaeum, Knoedler's, New York, 1958.
American Classics of the Nineteenth Century, Currier Art Gallery, Manchester, NY, 1958.
- Young, A. McLaren, James McNeill Whistler, Arts Council Gallery, London, and Knoedler Galleries, New York, 1960 (cat. no. 6).
The Coast and the Sea, Hartford, CT, 1964 (cat. no. 25).
Christie's Bicentenary Exhibition 1766-1966, London, 1967 (cat. no. 44).
- Staley, Alan (ed.), From Realism to Symbolism: Whistler and His World, Wildenstein, New York, and Philadelphia Museum of Art, 1971 (cat. no. 11).
- Taynton, Carol (intro.), Whistler in New England Collections, [checklist], Boston, 1977 (no cat. number).
- Dorment, Richard, and Margaret F. MacDonald, James McNeill Whistler, Tate Gallery, London, Musée d’Orsay, Paris, and National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 1994-1995 (cat. no. 34).
- Merrill, Linda, et al., After Whistler: The Artist and His Influence on American Painting, High Museum of Art, Atlanta, 2003 pp. 14-15, 17, repr. fig. 7 (not exhibited).
Ayako Ono, ホイッスラー展. James McNeill Whistler Retrospective, National Museum of Modern Art, Kyōto, 2014, and Yokohama Museum of Art, 2014–2015 (cat. no. 73).
- Christie's, London, 5 May 1906 (lot 103).
- Holmes, C. J., 'Whistler and Modern Painting', Burlington Magazine, vol. 14, no. 70, January 1909, pp. 196-206, repr. p. 205.
Art News, vol. 23, no. 32, 16 May 1925, repr.
- 'Alone with the Tide or Coast of Brittany by James A. McNeill Whistler, 1861, Given in Memory of William Arnold Healy by his daughter Susie Healy Camp', Bulletin of the Wadsworth Athenaeum, Hartford, CT, vol. 3, July 1925, pp. 23-26.
Art Digest, 14 March 1942.
- Mahey, John A. (ed.). 'The Letters of James McNeill Whistler to George A. Lucas', Art Bulletin, vol. 49, September 1967, pp. 247-57, at p. 249.
- Wadsworth Atheneum website at http://argus.wadsworthatheneum.org. (acc. 2019).
- Simon, Jacob, 'British artists' suppliers, 1650-1950', National Portrait Gallery website.
- Revillon, Joseph Whistler, Draft Catalogue Raisonné of the Paintings of J. McN. Whistler, [ca 1945-1955], Glasgow University Library (cat. no. 376).
- Goebel, Catherine Carter, Arrangement in Black and White: the Making of a Whistler Legend, PhD thesis, 2 vols, Evanston, Northwestern University, 1988, Appendix A: The Royal Academy.
Last updated: 4th June 2021 by Margaret